Exhaust without extractors?

CMF_Tuph

» CMF Member
i just checked out a local exhaust place. he quoted me for a 2" sports exhaust with a lukey muffler ($390), with this he said he would make a air intake ($250) and leave in the stock manifold. with this he expected +10-15 HP

i thought this was a bit strange because i went in asking about the 2" exhaust, 4-2-1 extractors and fuel sensor kinking like recommended in "$1500 factory micra Powerup". then i was going to make my own air intake... he sounded concerned about moving the O2 sensor. Also he talked about only changing one thing at a time and if the stock manifold didn't have to be changed then don't change it.

just thought it was strange to not change the extractors- im not a mechanic but i would have assumed that by not changing the extractors you wouldnt get the performance increase out of it... but instead only get the new exhaust sound, which is not what im looking for. Sounded ricey to me- but the shops meant to be reliable...

Thoughts?

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
tuph

imo, on a stock engine, you would only see gains from a 2" system at high revs, and you would get far more bang for your buck from a wild inlet cam, lightened flywheel and 2nd decat (and still get very low emissions)

frank

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Get yourself a set of extractors through nsm, a member on the forums here. He's got hurricane 4-2-1's for $295. From there you can get a 2" system made up from there and you can make yourself the air intake setup.

You can either get an adjustable fuel reg or get someone to kink your return line or whatever to increase fuel pressure, but I found that mine ran fine as it was - just got the AFR's checked on a dyno and it was good.

Edit: That said, as frank mentioned a lightened flywheel does wonders, too.

---dens

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
EVLGTI

i agree, but for £20 (lathe rental) for a 0 to 60 dropping measure, it,s second to none imo
as opposed to an expensive 2" exhaust system that gives negative or little gains in the low and midrange and creates problems with emissions and insurance

frank

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"Get yourself a set of extractors through nsm, a member on the forums here. He's got hurricane 4-2-1's for $295. From there you can get a 2" system made up from there and you can make yourself the air intake setup.<BR><BR>You can either get an adjustable fuel reg or get someone to kink your return line or whatever to increase fuel pressure, but I found that mine ran fine as it was - just got the AFR's checked on a dyno and it was good.<BR><BR>Edit: That said, as frank mentioned a lightened flywheel does wonders, too.<BR><BR>---dens

Dens,
do you realy think a dyno was necessary?? cos im bout to fit some extractors and exhaust to my car and was wondering whether it would be necessary?? i guess its just a precaution to make sure ay

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I was pretty paranoid about it, but it was inexpensive for peace of mind that I wasn't going to do any damage. Was $80 for a few runs on the dyno to check the AFR's so for peace of mind just before heading to a track day I thought it was worth it.

Up to you what you want to do, though.

---dens

CMF_Tuph

» CMF Member
what damage were you making sure that you didn't do? thanks for letting me know about the flywheel (especially EVLGTI... i didnt exactly know what it did- as im a bit new to all this), *just doing a search of flywheels* theres heaps of talk about them on here, so i will have a read after work. also by lightening the flywheel this can i still do other mods like an exhaust later (aka when i have money :p)? (just trying to work out if there are negatives to lightening it)
but yes, 0-60 is really all i want to be able to rip around in- so this has all been great advice

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
i'll be soon taking off my stock lightened flywheel for a 'real' light flywheel.... if you're interested... just let me know (just pay the freight deal) not sure when this will happen just waiting on my mechanic for mates rates and time......

CMF_EVLGTI

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"EVLGTI<BR><BR>i agree, but for £20 (lathe rental) for a 0 to 60 dropping measure, it,s second to none imo<BR>as opposed to an expensive 2" exhaust system that gives negative or little gains in the low and midrange and creates problems with emissions and insurance <BR><BR>frank

Agree 100% if you have the gearbox out for clutch replacement its a no brainer, get the stock flywheel lightened and balanced with the clutch. I am not convinced a 2" isnt to big unless you have the mods to suit. Was putting out 350+ hp on an SR20det with a 2.5"exhaust and now nearly 600ph and only using 3" so 2" on a 1300 seems overkill. You can go to light on a flywheel, try and take the weight off the outside of the flywheel. Think of it along the lines of a pound off the flywheel is like 10pounds out of the car.

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
tris WROTE:

"That said, as frank mentioned a lightened flywheel does wonders, too.<BR><BR>---dens"</DIV><BR><BR>Dens,<BR>do you realy think a dydeNs WROTE:<BR><BR>"Get yourself a set of extractors through nsm, a member on the forums here. He's got hurricane 4-2-1's for $295. From there you can get a 2" system made up from there and you can make yourself the air intake setup.<BR><BR>You can either get an adjustable fuel reg or get someone to kink your return line or whatever to increase fuel pressure, but I found that mine ran fine as it was - just got the AFR's checked on a dyno and it was good.<BR><BR>Edit: no was necessary?? cos im bout to fit some extractors and exhaust to my car and was wondering whether it would be necessary?? i guess its just a precaution to make sure ay<BR><BR>

yeh tris i think the dyno would be a good idea, our micra was running lean about 14:1 at wide open throttle, it had a exhaust and intake setup, i put a SAFC in just to richen up the mixtures and i advanced the timing to about 18 degrees, it made 57.9 kw at the wheels

Back