exhausts and cats

:confused: I've been looking into getting a de-cat for my '92 March, however i have found that instead of the cat being mid pipe, it's at the manifold, but according to an exhaust dealer micras didn't use this system until july 2000, but on these systems only 2 boxes were used, the back box, and the center box, my pipe however has 3 boxes, the back box, and 2 boxes incorporated in the center pipe, so I was wondering if all i needed to de-cat it was a pre 2000 manifold and downpipe, and would it fit with the rest of my system ?

sonic said:
:confused: I've been looking into getting a de-cat for my '92 March, however i have found that instead of the cat being mid pipe, it's at the manifold, but according to an exhaust dealer micras didn't use this system until july 2000, but on these systems only 2 boxes were used, the back box, and the center box, my pipe however has 3 boxes, the back box, and 2 boxes incorporated in the center pipe, so I was wondering if all i needed to de-cat it was a pre 2000 manifold and downpipe, and would it fit with the rest of my system ?

my 1994 super s had a cat in the manifold and in the centre pipe...i thought all k11's had a cat in the manifold

was the cat in the center pipe a seperate removeable part, coz mine hasn't got one, just the one at the manifold, but as mine is pre '93 it doesn't need the cat for an mot does it, so could i not just gut it of all its internals with a hammer and big screwdriver.

u need a cat 2 pass an mot that is why you have these cat by pass tubes

sonic said:
was the cat in the center pipe a seperate removeable part, coz mine hasn't got one, just the one at the manifold, but as mine is pre '93 it doesn't need the cat for an mot does it, so could i not just gut it of all its internals with a hammer and big screwdriver.

yeah.dont see why not.

get a 3rd opinion tho ..lol

would gutting the cat affect the ecu because of the lambda sensor or would it not be affected, if it is then how do people with janspeed or maniflows get round it.

Robin Cooper said:
u need a cat 2 pass an mot that is why you have these cat by pass tubes

On 1 January 1996 petrol engine vehicles equipped with catalytic converters and
registered after 1 August 1992 became subject to the new CAT emissions test as part of the MoT

as taken from the mot testers handbook.

Back