Exhaust blowing - no idea y!

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
ok some of u may have seen my thread yestoday, well after having a good look at the car, the exhaust is definatly blowing between the manifold and primary cat.

i didnt move/upset the seal (which i hear is re-useable anyway) and all the bolts are in WAY more then the torque recommended by the haynes and yet it still blows...

any idea y? :S

thanks

If i was you mate i would put a new seal in because once they have been used they are nackerd, they Mould to the shape of the metal and they usually blow when you use them again. I would slap loads of exhause paste around the seal aswell....Ohh and a good way to check if it is Blowing where you say is to get someone to cover the End of the exaust for 5 secs and listen or feel for the Air leaking. Hope it helps :grinning:

i still dont understand y its the seal if i havnt moved the seal or the cat or manifold

all i literally did was take a few bolts out n ended up having to put them back in again and thats it!

i have no idea how to change the seal or can i afford the stupid prices garages charge so im just gna leave it for abit

im waiting for the engine to cool down then im gna try tightening again, ive already given myself one serious burn

thanks for the reply! ill try the exhaust thing inna bit when i got some 1 else around!

its blowing enough for the engine light to come on, me feel gasses coming out around the joint and for the car to drive like crap and drink like a bastard :(

yeah you are meant to use the actual gasket and paste which seals its properly. when you undid the bolts the paste would of cracked and now wont be selaing properly. take it to a grage and jsut say would you seal up the cat. it will take about 2 mins and wont cost you much as its about a 5 mins job. ive resused my exhasut gaskets loads of times and as long as they aint nackered you should be okay as long as you use paste as well. i know of some people that dont even use a gasket and its sealed up a treat.

Humm....its not the Nicest job to Jack up and do on ur drive Ehh....You dont know any 1 who owns a garage fwn Makes it Much easyer to figure out whats goin on.

nah i dont and the ppl in my local garage r total cocks

ill try and see if i can get anywhere to do it at a reasonable price...

failing that i'll just have to keep running it how it is

thanks for the help tho :)

still dont see y its affecting the engine light and how it runs, typical

Back