What a fabulous day! (also need help)

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
Those stupid spigot ring things still aint turned up so i thought id give wolfrace a ring and they said they'll be a while yet... so i thought id go to my dads and put my steelies back on... just incase!

so i put my steelies on and whilst i was at it i thought id try and get this stupid de-cat pipe thing on aswell (at last).

anyway couldnt get the last two bolts off for the cat (the two that are connecting it to the down-pipe) so i had to sod it, so i tighed all the bolts up on it i had already loosened....

then, went to put the front two steelies on, and one of the threads broke on one of the studs (didnt snap, jus damaged so everytime i put a nut on it, it damages the nuts thread)

so i was wondering, can you get threads repaired from places or if i want it fixing do i need a whole new hub? (this is providing it doesnt snap the stud when i try like #### to get the nut back off - when i will need a new hub).

oh and on my way home my engine light decided to come on, no idea y! car drives perfect. exhaust doesnt seem to be blowing either so i dont know y the hell thats came on...

sonic said:
take the pin out of the end of the shaft, undo the big nut and the hub pulls of.

as sonic says thats not hard to do... the only possible struggle may be taking the stud out....

what i did was to place it over a grid and wack it through... you dont need or want that stud...

then filp it over with the other studs facing into the grid the bang in new one slowly...

tap, check, tap, check etc....

do this process slowly...

thanks for the advice, im hoping ill get away with not having to change the stud anyway :) cheers!

dont suppose anyone would know why the engine light would have come on? even if it was blowing i still dont see how that would affect the engine light

you could get a die and try and re cut the stud :)

do the old paper clip trick on the ECU and get it to tell you whats wrong :D

NeX said:
you could get a die and try and re cut the stud :)

do the old paper clip trick on the ECU and get it to tell you whats wrong :D

paper clip trick dont work on post - 2000 :(

im gna try and re-tighten the cat bolts i think... and hope the metal gaskety thing isnt fubard

do NOT repair the studs thread as this is very very very dangerous!, by repairing it you are effectly weaking the whole stud

to put the new stud on, put it though the hub hole and then put some washers on the thread side and put the wheel nut on and tighten the nut this will bring the stud into the hub

Fordy said:
do NOT repair the studs thread as this is very very very dangerous!, by repairing it you are effectly weaking the whole stud

to put the new stud on, put it though the hub hole and then put some washers on the thread side and put the wheel nut on and tighten the nut this will bring the stud into the hub
thanks,

can i ask, is it dangerous to keep it how it is (even tho its a right mission to get the nut on and off).. reason i ask is, wouldnt that be weakening the stud every time i try to put it on and off?

i also have a m8 who has a spare micra, that is not on the road, i may ask him if i can swap the hubs over (saves banging studs about!)

thanks guys

and the engine light could be WD-40 fumes in the downpipe, as i used aloadve of it to try and lube the bolts... ooohh crap... i wonder if i fried the secondary o2 sensor with it...

u didnt hit the lamba sensor did u? lol or heat it up? they r very easy to damage :)

nah the socket was rubbing against it to take one of the bolts out, i cant see it damaging it tho...

ill see how it goes, if it carrys on and i find its definatly not blowing ill have to try and get a code-readout.

i wudda fort if the lamba sensor was broke it wouldnt drive aswell, but it really does seem perfect! as smooth and as quick as before... danm thing

you will need a new nut aswell then, put the nut on and then start looking for either new hub with studs already in and a new nut or get a new stud and wheel nut, its kinda 50/50 but i wouldnt do long journeys

i got some new wheel nuts on the way anyway as most of mine are crap.

just taken the car for a quick drive and now its started driving awful, huge hesitation/sudden power-kick-in whilst accelaration and im going to have to book it into unleaded-anonymous if it keeps drinking as much fuel as it is.

really ####ed off now, i dont see how undoing some bolts and doing them back up again can cause this! and an exhaust blowing doesnt cause the car to drive like a shed? so the o2 sensor must have decided to die for whatever reason...

is the exhaust blowing and where from? do you have 2 o2 sensors on your car? if so fix the exhaust blow first before trying to fix the engine light,

no doubt if the exhaust blow is before the 2nd sensor it will probably just be the blow causing the rear sensor to read wrong and then make the car run rough

i think the blow (if it is blowing - becuase it doesnt sound like it) is between the manifold and the primary cat, or the primary cat and the downpipe, so ill try sorting that first then...!

i really thought that the secondary o2 sensor was there ONLY to detect the presence of a cat tho

Back