Exams

Layla

Deactivated Account
for everyone who has university exams coming up:

As you may know, the Association of University Teachers (the trade union) is in dispute with the Universities and Colleges Employers’ Association. Some AUT members are taking part in ‘Action Short of a Strike’ amounting to a boycott of assessments and examinations. Approximately 28% of academics and related staff are members of the AUT. The trade unions representing manual, clerical and technical grade staff are not taking part in the industrial action.

The University is taking steps to ensure that exams that are part of the examination diet beginning on 24 April 2006 will take place as planned. You should therefore prepare for your exams as normal and turn up at the times and venues stated in the examination timetable, which will be updated continuously with any late changes. The University will endeavour to inform students in advance if an exam is unable to take place as a result of the industrial action. This information will be available online via the examination timetable.

The University is concerned to ensure that no student is disadvantaged as a result of the AUT’s action, and to this end is putting contingencies in place to enable students, wherever possible, to progress to the next stage of their course on the basis of all available marks. For students expecting to graduate in June/July 2006, the University will also be putting in place procedures to enable students to be awarded degrees on the basis of available information, wherever possible.

The University will issue further information on the industrial action and/or the dispute as and when it is available; but for the time being you should assume that exams and assessments will take place as normal and that you should therefore continue with your studies and preparation .

NOTE: this information is specifically for the university of dundee (where i go) butthe AUT is nation wide, so guys, keep an eye out on your university websites.

and for those who dont get it, its basically means, revise, go back the 200 frigging miles to frigging university, but hey, we might not have arsed ourselves to write an exam for you. and if we have, we might not mark it.
This strike has been going on since christmas, none of my assignments from this semester have been marked at all. So glad i pay tuition...:(

So glad i didnt bother with Uni! All that extra education & debts and you end up doing data entry for months as nobody else will employ you!

Layla said:
cheers hun, thats just the kinda encouragment i need ;)

Your welcome! Not looking promising tho is it, if this has been going on for four months already!?

theres problems at my uni aswell (dmu, leicester) but we've been getting our grades back from our courseworks at least. I have no idea whats going to happen about the exams tho.

its pure banter is uni, am not a fan meself, a only have one exam..most of my marks come from lab reports but still hope they can it....

and arnold its not just data entry, im a fuly qualified dinner lady

i only really agree with those comments if you go to uni and study something like cubboard technoligy or flower arranging, or get a degree in feeding your cat.

ive got my placement this year and i will be in a company doing exactly what i want to be doing for a good wage ;) and if its good there i may get invited back there when i've finished.

its guna be a nightmare if it all takes place, especially with it meaning that i will not be able to graduate until it is all resolved!!
it was bad enough last month when there was a day strike... i desperatly needed help off my disseration tutor that day and she wasnt allowed to help me due to the strike!
the only reason i glad i went to uni is because of all the friends iv made and the football there... rest of it is a load of edited

The exams will still get marked, you will still get results, these results however basically just wont be put on the 'system' which links everything together, so you wont have an official status.

You shouldnt really worry about it, its not like your in your final year. Many final year students can expect to miss out on receiving their degree on time (and prevent them from getting employed/a job/anything) until the dispute has been resolved.

You will still progress onto the second year as they will know the marks, they just wont be on the system.

Retepetsir said:
You shouldnt really worry about it, its not like your in your final year. Many final year students can expect to miss out on receiving their degree on time (and prevent them from getting employed/a job/anything) until the dispute has been resolved. .

thanks pete made me feel so much better :( lol

I'm sure you'll still get it, thats just what they are trying to scare the 'big boss men' with so that something will be done asap.

You'll be fine :), going well I take it?! :)

Back