Engine

Hi I posted a while ago about my 1993 micra K11 1.3 16v

When I rev the car and then stop reving it, Just before it idles i hear a little noisy like something metal shaking??

Also when I rev it for about 5-6mins the exhasut has some smoke coming out its clear but is this normal?

Cheers...Scott:wow:

scott

the rattle is probably just a heatshield thats come loose
if its just steam coming out of the exhaust and the coolant is ok, then dont worry

Cheers for quick reply mate

How much would it cost to put right..?

As for the smoke yeah its just steam I think il have to check coolant levels though but the temp gauge is normal..

scott

if you take the heatshield off the 2nd cat, dont park on dry grass
the heatshields on the manifold and 1st cat are safe to take off

the rattle could be the heatshield...or as it was with mine, the gear leaver return spring, or for that matter anything thats metallic thats just making contact with the car (seek and may just find :) )

smoke wise, chances are its condensation from the exhaust system heating up...youd probably know if it was anything worse, easiest solution is dont sit revving it for 5-6mins :D

Il have to have a go

but are you definately sure its linked because when i move gearstick left and right i get the same noise and like i said when i rev it and its idling i hear the same noise.

cheers:blush:

Lol solar il check..

the only reason i was revving it for 5 mins because when I drive it, it happens?

Oh and while im here anyone got a mirca wiper stalk?

the reason most suspect the exhaust system cat heatshield, is that the engine vibration is being sent down the gear linkage and passing it on to the heatshield, which is why you get the same noise when you wobble the lever...its the kinda thing that doesnt cause any problems, but is annoying so depends if you can live with it :)

i personally solved the problem, when i fitted a shortshifter...simply put i persuaded it with a hammer and so far its stayed quiet :laugh:

Back