engine squeal

cardiffboy27

Ex. Club Member
hey guys!
i have just changed the water pump cam belt and gaskets on my K10
and i have a squealing noise that dips when i rev, I have a feeling its coming from the cam belt tentioner is this a common problem ?
also as ahe is a little bit rough at the moment what is a avrage proce to get her tuned?

cheers all :)
Ian :)

I agree, it's most likely to be the fan belt squealing, but if it persists after adjustment then try the water pump or alternator bearings for play.

You've removed the fan (alternator belt) and left it running? Surely that'l flatten your battery! Its usually that belt which is at fault for the problem you are describing.

Im afraid youll have to take everything off and check over it again if there is squealing coming from the timing belt area. You really dont want anything to go wrong here..

It could be that the timing belt is not quite square on the pulleys, or the timing cover is making contact with the belt. Also check that the tensioner spring is located properly and not rubbing against the tensioner or belt.

well after running the car and doing dome fault finding i have found a small drip comming from the inlet manifold and also where the squealing is comming from, so it looks like its back to the drawing board again as it has just had a brand new gasket !
the leak was in the same place from the old gasket aswell any ideas on this one guys ?

You've removed the fan (alternator belt) and left it running? Surely that'l flatten your battery! Its usually that belt which is at fault for the problem you are describing.

Yeah but it wont flatten the battery immediately, good idea for the sake of testing.

well after running the car and doing dome fault finding i have found a small drip comming from the inlet manifold and also where the squealing is comming from, so it looks like its back to the drawing board again as it has just had a brand new gasket !
the leak was in the same place from the old gasket aswell any ideas on this one guys ?

what is it leaking? water?

yeah just water is leaking out :(

ok i have just stuck some k seal in the rad and it has stoped the leak whoooooohh :D
but the squeal is still there could it be coming from the oil pump gears does anyone think ?

could just be the timing belt a bit tight as its new, give it a few hundred miles and see if it goes a way

well all the belts seem fine and the squealing seems to be comming from the engine near the dissy, thats what makes me think its comming from the oil feed thingy ill try to get a sound file of it so you guys can hear it :)

whooooooooooooh at last its sorted
it was a dodgy inlet manfold gasket that was causing the noise!
got one from the nissan main dealer for a tenna and bunged it on and she is running like a dream! thank god thats sorted i was starting to lose faith in her at one point but now its fully restored!

so if ya ever get a a high pitched squeal after taking the manafold off then give it a go :D
cheers all :grinning:

Back