engine removal, without taking out the box???

hoopdub

Club Member (Trial)
is it possible to remove the engine from a k11 without taking the box out at the same time? not that im looking to save time, i just cant be arsed with draining the box and getting oil on my drive then having to buy new gear oil bla bla :D im only swapping the engine from a 1L to a 1.3. if its more hasstle than its worth then i wont bother, will just bite the cash bullet.

also any tips from you guys who have done the engine out a few times (frank :D ) haynes says to drop it on the floor, but have no means of lifting the car high enough to do that.

also my plan is to take off the inlet manifold in situ and zip tieing it to the bulkhead out the way so i dont have to remove any pipes and wires and stuff, the 1.3 has the exhaust mani left on it and the small cat has had its innerds punched out, will swap the flywheel and clutch over then pop the other block in.

tip and hints welcome :D

what i would do is pop the shafts out of the hubs and drop the whole lot out the bottom as one.

might not be the quickest way, but its just how i would do it.

yeah what nex said is the less messy way. its not hard to bang a tub and the diff and yank the shafts out tho lol. and you dont need to take the shafts out of the hubs just un-bolt the struts from the hubs and yank on the a couple of times thats my way of doing it and make sure you disconnect the brake pipes before doing it this way.

taking it out with the engine in place will give you a headace getting it back in. and also you are using your 1.0 flywheel and clutch? just checking :laugh:

Drop the whole lot will be easier imo. Also the inlet manifold will be easier to swap if that comes out too, the four lower bolts are tricky to get to, much easier out of the car.

To lift the engine out you would need to take the bonnet off I think.

Change the gearbox oil anyway.

Yes frank is your man. Some say he can do it in less than an hour

aye, i,ve had some practice eh stani :grinning: (5 times in just over 1 year iirc)
i always leave the shafts/wheels starter, gearchange etc on, and pull the g/box over a bit.
then jack the engine over the lower cross member.
the inlet mani removal is easy if you discard the 2 awkward bolts underneath, and also the little black steel support bracket too
i would post a pic, but they,re not uploading lately :suspect:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=3582olv&s=5

Back