Engine Reconditioning

nexussteve

The reason you're happy!
Hey peeps,

I'm thinking about doing a GA16DE conversion (Or similar) to my K10 in the future, then maybe add a turbo or s/c. Please bear with me, as I'm not too clued up on the real nitty gritty of engines!

How hard would it be to recondition the engine if I obtained one?

Is it actually a very complex thing to do, or is it simply a matter of taking it apart, cleaning it up and checking for wear/cracks?

its very easy to recondition an engine. If you know how they go to together all you need is a haynes manual to find out the tightening torques.

iirc its best to start off with the turbo model than the n/a model as they require much more than just bolting a turbo on.

ah cool!

Well I have the haynes, so that's not a problem. Only thing is, finding a GA16 with a turbo on it.

Is there any cleaning products that are best when reconditioning?
Which should I avoid?

To be honestmate, i stripped my old ma10 engine and it cost quite a bit if your going to replace stuff, which in thoery you should to do a proper job...

I have some knowledge of how an engine is taken apart etc, but rebuilding is a different matter, there are loads of things you have to think about then do to get it right

The haynes tells you so much, but there are things that you just have to know...

But by all means have a go and learn something new

Hey peeps,

I'm thinking about doing a GA16DE conversion (Or similar) to my K10 in the future, then maybe add a turbo or s/c. Please bear with me, as I'm not too clued up on the real nitty gritty of engines!

How hard would it be to recondition the engine if I obtained one?

Is it actually a very complex thing to do, or is it simply a matter of taking it apart, cleaning it up and checking for wear/cracks?

Yeah big maybe

Back