engine rebuild help with parts

CMF_ndxxx

» CMF Member
ok so ive decided im going to buy another engine and go down the turbo path
plan is too aim about blue monsters figures! yeah i know.
so perFOURmance are going to dot he rebuild for me.
im just wondering for the first steps what parts are available (eg pistons rods and gaskets etc) and what has to be custom made.
and also what i should stay away from doing in my process.
any help would be appriciated,
also anyone within 200km of byron wanna sell me a cg13de?
hope to get some response. message me if so :)

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
i have a spare engine... I was going to do up....its missing the water pump.... came off a car that had done 180K and as just been sitting in the garage for 2 years.... not really sure I'll sell but seeings I'm doing the EV thing......

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
After you get your hands on a spare engine...

1mm custom aluminium head gasket (someone on this site has them or knows where to get them by memory)

custom billet rods (2mm shortened) and ARP bolts (http://www.par-engineering.com - get in contact with them about there full billet customs)

custom forged pistons (2mm lengthened crown) dished to lower compression to 8.2:1 (I like wiseco's work.. http://www.wiseco.com/Automotive/Pistons.aspx)

High flowed polished head and O-ringed block (you need to get these two done at same time to avoid complications, also when getting work done, enquire about the custom gasket because these things need to all fit perfectly. If the rings do protrude enough to cause cutting to gasket than its stuffed..)

As for cams and timing chain... Obviously any engine with k's on it should have the chain replaced either through nsm or nissan (nsm for great price, i dont think you will get a warranty for the nissan one even if they install it because of turbo?)

Cams (Im pretty sure that regular cams are best for turbo application, but dont quote me on it)

Im kind of a noob when it comes to turbo installation and setup so if anything ive said is wrong sum1 correct me thanks.

Things to think about for starters there mate, good luck :)
Maybe you can be the next -insert colour here- monster driver!

CMF_ndxxx

» CMF Member
definately looking forward to it.. so cams should stay normal, or tomei pon cams? anyone? fred im in lismore. how much u want for the engine. and anyone on here knows who sells the custom head gasket?
also nsm, if you look at this can you give me a price on the chain

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
Um, I paid $500 for it but i guess $300? ... as u can see I'm in Mur-bah.... hay i'd grab gtrholics superlight flywheel and clutch If I were you.... These things are a must if you go turbo.

CMF_crumpets

» CMF Member
The block is nigh bullet proof best spending your money elsewhere but it all comes down to budget.

Whether you want just a bit more punch like most people do or go all out like cisco or turborolling..

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
lol i reckon with turbo-march's sweet red beast, payin sum1 to do all the work would set ya back 15k mates rates 25 otherwise? thats with all labour mind you, but unless your a good mechanic, 99% of this stuff will need to be done at a shop anyways. looking back at cisco's car posts all the way up to its eventual sale it becomes clear just how much time and money is involved to restore and improve a car as much as he did. In the end he managed to sell a micra in to 20k range which i dont think will ever happen again.

Having said all that, don't give up because the end results will put a smile on your blurry face as you fly past the next r32 or commondore...

CMF_ndxxx

» CMF Member
definately laughin as i pass commos hahaha.

kovert: i was thinking about an ems stinger? are these up to standards with the sm4's?

only thing i need the shop for is doing the block and custom internals and all that. my old man is helping me with the wiring and plumbing since hes in the mechanic sorta trade. im sorta mates with a tuner and he said hed do a good price. so im looking to do some of it myself.

a pulsar box will also be going in aswell.

i know how much money is going to be invested. but ive set a year and a half sort estimated completion. a second job will be coming to help pay. i dont have a budget. things will just come along as money does. rebuiling the block is just the first thing aslong as picking up parts on the way

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
dont mean to jack the thread but I've been wondering if i should hold out for an autronic sm4.. its probably overkill for an N/A system though right?

I can get EMS stinger 4424 and CAI done for just under 2grand, installed and tuned, or get the sm4 installed and tuned with CAI for under 4grand.

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Good to see theres still some big spenders on this site! Will be watching all the turbo projects and can't wait to see how they all panout.

As for the cost its only money eh! I think i spend round 14k all up including the car and got back about 8-9k when i sold it all off! So a loss of maybe 6k, See how much money you loose on a new kia rio or some **** and i think i'm still better off and had a ****load more fun too.

Back