Engine gremlins - can you help please!

CMF_d3xta

» CMF Member
Have been having trouble with the wives car - its a 1.0 16v K11 Micra. 1992.

Last week it cut out on us shortly after leaving home. I pushed it to the side of the road and it restarted after 5 minutes.

The other day it wouldn't start at all. Went through normal checks (spark, fuel, etc.) and got nothing so called the breakdown guys. They got it working saying it was a poor spark and suggested I replace the dizzy cap, rotor arm and plugs which I did.

Later that day it broke down again. This time it was really erratic when upto temperature - it had never done this before, not ever broken down either so baffled me.

So I did a google search, found this site - read up - and so far have done the following;

- Checked the vacuum hoses for leaks, (they were fine)
- Cleaned all visible electrical connections, AFM, Potentiometer, injectors, oxygen sensor.
- Cleaned the ignition control valve on the front of the throttle body (it wasn't that bad at all)
- Resoldered the throttle body top circuit board connectors (the 3 ceramic ones) but I couldn't get access to the board connectors as it appeared to be stuck in the casing.

But ... I still get a slight hesitation when I increase the revs. At idle it seems fine and this is the first time anything like this has ever happened, the cars only done 55k miles.

I read an earlier post suggesting that dirty fuel could be the problem and I should top up with BP ultimate or something similar?

Please guys can you help? The wife is 7mths pregnant so I need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Thanks very much.....

CMF_RoadsterGarage

» CMF Member
Sounds like the exact same problem I'm having.

Though my car is running really rich!

I've got a ga15 throttle body on the way and I am hoping that it will fixy hesitation & stalling issues.

Goodluck in fixing it!

CMF_RoadsterGarage

» CMF Member
****, that makes sence, and is the exact same symptons i'm having.

well i know if the throttle body replacement isn't the problem, then its the dizzy (it better be! i've changed practically everything else!)

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
when my dizzy went, it only failed once it had got warm (then worked ok again when it had cooled down).
so if its not starting from cold, i would say a dodgy connection somewhere

frank

CMF_d3xta

» CMF Member
UPDATE - have changed the fuel filter but its no better.

Someone suggested overfuelling so I gave the AAC valve a really good clean and nope its still happening.

Next stop is the dizzy I think. Just need to source one from a breakers....

CMF_d3xta

» CMF Member
UPDATE - took advice off the other thread about trying to cool the dizzy down so decided to replicate the problem and check it again. The car's done 55k so am a little suspect that a dizzy can fail so early.

So, got the car to temperature, problem started occuring and sprayed the distributor with rapid cooling spray - the kind of stuff you use to unseize bolts.

Anyway, all it succeeded in doing was cooling the dizzy because even though the casing was cool - the fault seemed to remain.

So now think it could still be the Throttle body after all.

Should know tomorrow because after that I spoke to a local garage who agreed to do a throttle body/dizzy swapout one after the other to fix the problem. And they are only charging £50 if its the Dizzy, £80 if its the throttle body and £20 labour total.

At the moment that sounds good to me...

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
i think im having a fairly similar problem. mines missfiring with all cylinders when upto temp. ive replaced all the electrical side of things and it hasnt fixed the issue. i think mines due to fuel because its doing all cylinders at once. have you checked for fuel leaks in the hoses?

CMF_Red Menace

» CMF Member
D3xta, that sounds like a decent garage if they only want £20 labour. Granted neither job is the most time-consuming, but that definitely sounds like fair treatment.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
mine does a similiar thing at the moment. Slight surging whilst driving but has not cut out when driving. However if its hot and i try and start it sometimes it just cranks over but does not start. If i try it a few times it then starts and drives fine. I to have done the TB and fuel filter and plugs. Going to do dizzy and leads this week when i do the rocker cover gasket. Not sure what else it could be

Back