Engine gets Hot! :-(

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
yo, ive noticed recently that my engine gets extremely hot even after a short drive :-(
ive been checking the level in my "water coolant bottle" and to me it doesnt seem to have gone down at all in quite a while.

i was therefore just wondering if its possible to "have an AIR BUBBLE bewteen the water coolant bottle and my radiator (black tubing)"???

or is there another problem here? :-(

Thanks

Napster

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
ohh forgot about that, but unfortunatly it sits in the middle (like usual) on any journey/drive i decide to go out on?

which is good though i suppose though isnt it?

prehaps nothing is the matter, but im sure that the "water coolant" isnt moving and engine does seem to be getter hotter?

Napster

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
If temp gauge is sitting in normal position no problem. If it was running hotter than normal after a long run there would be coolant under the car where it overflowed from the resevoir.This is a very good indication.
If you are not topping up the cooolant it is not running hot.

CMF_M5

» CMF Member
Sounds like it is ok but just check that your thermo fen is cutting in and out, if it stays on constantly, your engine is getting too hot, if it does not come on at all, that is also a problem but i dont think this is the case as your temp gauge would be going thru the roof.

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
kneival: u said that "The water level should go up when she is hot and down when she is cold" i did not know that lol. logically to me it would seem the other way around lol, but im not doubting u.

which means that if my water coolant is high after a journey then there isnt anytin wrong?

cheers Napster

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
knieval is correct. Coolant being filled with water expands as it gets hotter.

Thats what the radiator overflow tank is for - for the water to go to when it expands.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Yep I just checked up on it then! (thought I may have been wrong!)

Water expands both when cold and hot (by cold, I mean frozen so it is a solid and it expands when heated to the point where it becomes a vapour).

Strangley enough though, water when in its solid form is actually less dense than when it is in liquid form, so it floats.

Water is, afaik, the only naturally occuring substance which has these special characteristics. It is also usually the most pue substance which can be found on earth.

Pretty cool stuff.

Back