not overheating but radiator cold

Hi. Temperature gauge reads approx half way as it always has, heater works fine, but radiator & coolant bottle remain permanently cold & theres no pressure when you release them. Top radiator hose gets warm/hot, bottom one doesnt. Car runs fine. Coz of nervousness Ive been driving with the heater on to allow some heat to dissipate. Anyone know what the problem is..presumably the coolant isnt circulating fully....thermostat, water pump?....whether so long as the gauge doesnt go higher its ok to drive....whether running the heater is a good idea. embarassed to say its been like this some time. many thanks

Hmm, could a closed thermostat cause this?

Although temp guage shouldn't be reading accurately if thats the case o_O Fan still kicking in?

i'm not aware the fan is coming on at all. i had assumed as the radiator is cold it wouldnt but on reflection maybe that assumption is incorrect. as to the temperature guage it never reads over half so i'd assumed there was no overheating issue but i suppose there could be a 2nd issue in that the guage could be wrong.

the water should be colder coming out of the bottom off the radiator, thats the radiators job...
Lack of pressure could mean a leak.

Thermostat could be stuck. go for a drive at 50+mph if the temp. reads fairly low at constant speed then that's what i would check/replace thermostats are cheap.

Back