micra cuts out when doing 60 and engine is warm

CMF_sk

» CMF Member
hi guys!

3 months ago I bought a 1996 micra with only 120,000kms on the clock for only 1700 dollars. Its my new pride and joy to finally park a car with huge ease and also have relatively good performance and fuel economy making my car a bargain buy. However, 2 months ago my car suddenly just cut out after driving it doing 60 down the road while the engine was warm. I could start it back up again once parked by the side of the road, but one week later- once the same problem happened again- I had to wait 20 minutes until the car cooled down to start it again.

The car starts, idles and runs fine. It doesnt splutter or jerk or surge when driving but just likes to cut out when doing 60 and the engine becomes warm. It may also do the same if im putting my foot down a little more but its stalled when its pretty cold out and the engine gets warm its more than likely going to want to stall then.

Ive taken it to many auto electricians and now I dont trust them anymore.

Many people have told me that the distributor is the cause of the problem due to the electronics inside getting hot then shorting out. I had a barina which did the same. Should I get a new distributor or check something else out?

SK, btw thanks in advance for anyone who genuinely bothers to help me out.

CMF_33driver

» CMF Member
dizzy would be where I would start, not sure what $$$ they are worth but heat does funny thing with elctronics. Does the engine just 'cut out' or does it stumble and die? could be fuel too.

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
yes, sounds like your distributor. has happened to me a few times. unfortunately this is one of the micras achilles heel. this and the AFM. No easy fix unfortunately. just get one from the wreckers or bite the bullet and get a new one. hope this helps.

CMF_sk

» CMF Member
yeah 33driver, it doesnt stuble or splutter or anything like that, just straight out dies. One minute running great then the next, put your foot down and nothing happens. All you see is lights above the speedo (engine lights and battery lights and so forth) illuminated.

CMF_crumpets

» CMF Member
This issue happened to me on a jap import engine in my old micra.

Straight up dizzy problem guranteeed.

Mine was rolling 40-60 clicks then bam cut out, new dizzy fixed it

CMF_sk

» CMF Member
hi nick, where would that be coming from and who makes it? Ive been quoted 850 for an aftermarket distributor and more from nissan. I have my car on warranty through a caryard though.

Stephen

CMF_nsm

» CMF Member
doubt that a car yard would spend that much on a distributor....they might just get a second hand one....mine are an aftermarket one,and they are here in australia...

Back