engine died

J

johncraman

Hi My daughters 1994 Nissan micra 998cc engine stopped yesterday and resulted in the AA being called out. She states that prior to this happening the car was intermittantly proving difficult to start and occasionally was lacking power as if it was struggling to accelerate. The car has been using about a litre of oil per 1000miles.
The car kept stalling prior to just refusing to start. Upon the AA arriving the following day they stated that one of the spark plug holes was full of oil and upon doing compression tests that the compression was fluctuating from none to normal. The engine does not start or fire up and although it turns it squeels as opposed to normal.

I am awaiting the car being recovered and brought to my home apparantly the AA suspect that the timing chain has broken Does this sound accurate?
Where should i start in my own investigations?
Any advice would be appreciated
John Anderson

does the engine turn over faster than normal ? if it does then its a sure sign the chain has snapped, take the cam cover off to see if the chain moves when you turn the engine over. As for a litre of oil per 1000 miles thats a lot more serious, that coupled with a drop in compression sounds like either broken rings or abadly worn cylinder or a damaged piston, you are probably looking at an engine rebuild or a transplant I'm afraid.

Thanks guys just confirmed my own thoughts, That said i got the car delivered and took of the rocker box cover found that the timing chain felt slack but appeared in one piece turned the engine over without plugs in and saw that the belt was ok and realised that it had retightened but noticed that no1 plug hole was filling with oil followed slowly by the others. Checked later and found that the timing chain was again slack. Have resigned myself to putting a new engine in but just wondered what had caused the chain to slacken.
thanks
john

Back