Cleaning throttle body

Hi all

My first post here; looks like a great forum and I need some help!

OK, I've just bought a '97 1.3GX, 53,000 miles, full history and obviously looked after given no rot in the usual places and so on.

Only thing that is worrying me a bit is a slightly lumpy and low idle. Sometimes when the car is hot, when I restart the engine after stopping for say five minutes the revs will jump to maybe 1500 before settling down (a blip of the throttle pedal will help).

I was wondering if this could be a dirty throttle body? If so, can I safely clean same by removing the wire mesh on top and giving it a good dose of carb cleaner? Should I avoid spraying the MAF sensor wire (this is my first Micra so I'm in the dark a bit)?

Last car I did this on was my QX and I could remove the MAF sensor and clean beyond that thoroughly. I'd prefer to clean the throttle body whilst it is in situ, don't really have the inclination to remove it and so on at this stage. Also, could anyone direct me to the idle control screw (if there is one).

Any advice very very much appreciated.

Cheers :)

Best to take it off.
There is a link (which I cant find) to a guide for resoldering the MAF connections on the printed circuit board.

To actually clean it, use an old toothbrush and brake fluid. Its strong enough to shift the dirt but wont damage the seals. When you are done give it a rinse out with brake or carb cleaner.

The idle screw is the black plastic allen screw (5mm) on the croner nearest the drivers seat.

Thanks for you reply. Much appreciated. I've got the guide for the resolder but I'm hoping at this stage it's just dirt! Thanks too for the location of the idle screw - haven't got round to buying a manual just yet.

Best to take it off.
There is a link (which I cant find) to a guide for resoldering the MAF connections on the printed circuit board.

To actually clean it, use an old toothbrush and brake fluid. Its strong enough to shift the dirt but wont damage the seals. When you are done give it a rinse out with brake or carb cleaner.

The idle screw is the black plastic allen screw (5mm) on the croner nearest the drivers seat.

Back