EML light after decat

Read into a couple of threads this evening about the EML light coming on after decatting, got to say it is very annoying mainly because it can easily mask any new problems which may arise! so my question is simple, how can i turn this off, i looked into these lambda sleeves for the second sensor perhaps? would appreciate anyone whos running a decat set ups help :)

Just emmisions frank, I know most people just put up with it, but I'm tryna see if there's a way round it though :) I'm guessing either way the car will run the same?

the precise code number should help in deciding how to avoid it flagging the eml light tho eh .
the lambda sleeves are pretty expensive for what they are iirc

Resetting the ecu will only turn it off for a short period of time ... I got a sports cat and extended the second lambda sensor wiring to pretty much under the gear lever and welded a lambda boss into the exhaust..... Works a treat :)

Resetting the ecu will only turn it off for a short period of time ... I got a sports cat and extended the second lambda sensor wiring to pretty much under the gear lever and welded a lambda boss into the exhaust..... Works a treat :)

Makes passing emissions come MOT time a breeze too :D

mine passed fine, with no problems with the second sensor just cable tied up in the engine bay, i was running with a brand new cat so i dont know if that helped. My EML hasnt come on and mine has been like that for ages now, prob just lucky :)

I'll have to get codes later in the week, but I'm positive it's emissions, eventually I'm gunna get a Peter Lloyd system, and a sports cat might help too! but all I wanna know really is if I unplug the second sensor, cable tie it up, reset the Ecu, it will trick it into thinking lovely beautiful clean air is going out right? but if I unplug it, surely then the exhaust is gunna pour gases out if this newly unplugged hole? haha :p

No it will probably put the car into limp home mode .... The ecu cant read the second lambda sensor as a steady voltage or it will cause the warning light to come on....

No. mine is fine, as i have said. No light, no drop in performance, no limp mode. Nothing. Maybe i am lucky, i dont know, i do have lots of mods and they all work hand in hand. I still say on my car at least the second sensor is an EGT sensor (no inlets on it, just a solid lump) if i am wrong and anyone can prove me wrong then fine, but mine still works perfect. It could be down to the year and the software used on the ecu i dont know.

No. mine is fine, as i have said. No light, no drop in performance, no limp mode. Nothing. Maybe i am lucky, i dont know, i do have lots of mods and they all work hand in hand. I still say on my car at least the second sensor is an EGT sensor (no inlets on it, just a solid lump) if i am wrong and anyone can prove me wrong then fine, but mine still works perfect. It could be down to the year and the software used on the ecu i dont know.
I'm confused AJC, your post before says you were running with a new Cat? but mines decatted...

I'm confused AJC, your post before says you were running with a new Cat? but mines decatted...
which probably explains why your light is on george, your 2nd lambda should be signaling a constant (.4v iirc) which confirms the cat is working ok, (hence why sleeves are sometimes used)

But mine passed the MOT with the second one squared away, not in the flow of exhaust gas. i should get a pic of it really to show what i think mine is

I know why the light is on, and that's what I started saying in the top of this thread, and yeah that would make sense, the whole thread was designed to see if there was a way to keep it decatted, and not have an engine light showing, in essence a way in which the 2nd lambda could be fooled into thinking the emmisions was fine :) or like you said frank a way to make it read .4v

i think it is mate, have a look at this and see what you think, bad pic i know it was taken just now in the dark.

IMG_20130224_195732.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20130224_195732.jpg
    IMG_20130224_195732.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 332
Yes mate mine is a 1.4 coilpack. There used to be a place for it in the standard exhaust, but i have a PL system that was designed for the pre coilpack CG13, that doesnt have the second sensor, so i have had to tie my EGT sensor out the way, i also have a frank mani from a CG and a de catted cat from a CG. This way all the parts match up. I have done this as the CGA cat is longer than the CG one so would make the whole system hang down by a few inches. I do have other mods, but it just works on mine, thats why i asked if you have maybe damaged the lambda on the mani or the plug

Yes mate mine is a 1.4 coilpack. There used to be a place for it in the standard exhaust, but i have a PL system that was designed for the pre coilpack CG13, that doesnt have the second sensor, so i have had to tie my EGT sensor out the way, i also have a frank mani from a CG and a de catted cat from a CG. This way all the parts match up. I have done this as the CGA cat is longer than the CG one so would make the whole system hang down by a few inches. I do have other mods, but it just works on mine, thats why i asked if you have maybe damaged the lambda on the mani or the plug
My set up is very similar, being a facelift I have the smaller cat and and the same frank mani as you in oppose to the longer cat, only difference you have is the PL system, so your bal to tie up your second sensor without leaving a hole in the exhaust where it ussually goes, my main lambda is fine, I'm positive, it's because the second sensor is 'sensing' no change after the Cat, so if I can find a way to unplug it and seal the lambda hole the light will go out and the sensor will think its reading clean air, that must be way yours is doing mate :)

did you used to have the longer cat? and did you change it to the smaller CG one? if you have the standard system, then why not chuck a lambda bung on it and tie up the sensor, or any bolt that fits. that is on the second one. As we may or may not have established the second sensor is just an EGT one, so as is, is not that important in the grand scale of the ECU. I do have a few more mods tho, but i doubt those would make much of a difference, i personally think something else is broke along the line. as to what i aint sure. My primary lambda is still connected if that helps

Gotta ask yourself this... If it was just a simple temp sensor why wouldnt nissan just use a thermocouple instead of a lambda sensor... It could be a temp sensor but im pretty sure it also monitors exhaust gasses .....name kinda gives it away!! Its a lambda sensor not a temp sensor !!!!

Back