Emergency help required.

davey1991

If its not scrubbing, its not low enough.
Before i start, i'm an idiot.

After much swearing and a crippled hand i've managed t remove my cg10 crankshaft and replace one of them with the cg13 ones.

Now the issue. The large washer on the cam sprocket fell into the engine, i assume it will have fallen into the sump? right?

Now that i have done this i panicked and put everything back on and have knocked my timing way way out, i need someone who is a genius to save me either on here or by coming to me.

I'm in Nottingham if there is anyone local to help i would love you forever i will even pay you!

I know a guy who done the same and it didnt reach the sump. We took of the sump and spent an hour or so pulling it out from underneath. The timing isnt that big a deal, take the dizzy cap off and turn the engine over until its at top dead centre and the rotor arm is pointing to where number 1 is on the cap. Note its best to turn the engine over and over until the coloured links lined up with the dot on the middle pulley before doing the TDC bit :) then from there refit the top chain lining up the coloured links and dots again

Ok guys i'm seriously stuck, I can't fit the exhaust shaft, i can't get to the washer and i'm seriously loosing the plot.
I need someone to come rescue me i knew this was a bad idea...

You've got 4 days mate chill panicking will only make it worse I'm not clued up on cg engines but I'm sure Frank will be along to put you right although what stani said should be enough :)

At this rate i'll have to take it to a garage, i haven't got the tools or the skills i need to do this.

Timing is easy nothing to worry about first think of how to get the washer, have you got a telescopic magnet or even a curved pick
What exactly have you done you say in your first post you'd removed one of the crank shafts?? There is only one!

have you taken the cover/plate off the side of the head davey ?

The metal sheet thing thats an absolute pig to get off around the engine mount? Yes.

I removed the CG10 cams, lost the washer from the exhaust cam, put the inlet cam in in the wrong position and shouted alot, now im upset and lost... hah.

The metal sheet thing thats an absolute pig to get off around the engine mount? Yes.

I removed the CG10 cams, lost the washer from the exhaust cam, put the inlet cam in in the wrong position and shouted alot, now im upset and lost... hah.

i doubt if it will have fallen far down davey, you should be able to fish it out with a magnet, and i posted a pic of where the lobes should point at tdc (try a search for "lobes"), so dont turn the engine over till they,re lined up eh :eek:

I'm seriously crap at this kinda thing, so how will i know when the crank is tdc? i have no idea why i started this..

Also seriously struggling with the timing chain getting things in and out of it.. Next time i will ask more questions before hand.

Davey mate,

First of all:

DON'T PANIC

You will get through this and you'll be a better, more experienced mechanic for the experience. Getting one of those magnet on a telescopic stick thing is an excellent idea for fishing out washers etc. I'm sure Frank and co will be back soon enough to help out :).

Ok i'll have a damn good look tomorrow and stop panicking, still struggling with the chain, i assume i'm not meant to split it?
I think once i have the washer out again i shall be ok.

I'm a mechanic in training currently so this shot me down in flames something so apparently easy and i messed it up so badly haha.

Maplins or Machine Mart sell the magnet things :). And I'm no expert but DON'T split the chain :).

I took the tentioner off and that gave me almost no slack and its just so hard to get the cams back where i want them...
I'm sorry for being such a fool but thanks so much everyone for the help.
Still need help with the chain though, as soon as i have some spare money i'm joining without a doubt.

To get the cams back in, the first 2 lobes for cylinder 1 exhaust cam should point (when looking straight across the length of the cam) to approx 10 o'clock and the inlet at 2 o'clock

The tensioner can be pushed in with a twist to lock it. Then once the chain is fitted and the slack at the tensioner side push in the tensioner and it'll pop out

I've got the washer back! It was very nearly a sump off job but i saved it.
Still struggling with several things.

I cannot see any markings on the crank pully anywhere to centre it.
I've taken the tentioner off easy enough to get back on but still struggling to get enough chain to play with.
So much calmer now.

Just realised im looking in the wrong place and i really do need to take the engine mount off.

If i take the no.1 spark plug out and stick a pencil in the hole this will tell me when the car reaches TDC correct? How will i know if its compression or exhaust stroke? or does it not matter.
Lots of questions.

If i take the no.1 spark plug out and stick a pencil in the hole this will tell me when the car reaches TDC correct? How will i know if its compression or exhaust stroke? or does it not matter.
Lots of questions.

thats not very acurate davey, but it would suffice, and it does,nt really matter which cyl is tdc (1 or 4)

Thanks i'm much happier now.
After looking at a guide for changing the timing chain i think i'll be ok.
Sorry for all the questions.
If my engine blows up i'll tell you ;)

Bearing shell torques? Frank said 11nm in my previous topic but that sounds very very low..

Damn, i was kinda hoping you where wrong just because my torque wrench wont go below 30 haha.
What do i do about the ignition timing?

Its running rough but its running, taking it in with me to work to sort it out i recon the shafts are out a notch or so but its running. :)
Adjusting the timing does very little to it so i think i will have to have a play.
I am very very relieved!

It sounds like its running on 3 but it isn't i've checked that so what could it be?
Is it just a case of adjusting the cams?

I assume so as theres a noticeable change with each spark plug unplugged.
How would i check?

Yes i can, i think i got both cams 1 tooth to far towards the centre, would that give that kind of feeling?

It idles but it did cut out when i was coasting in 3rd only happened the once.
Worrying again...

Started first time aswell haha, i will do tomorrow. Thanks again. Anything else it could be so i can rule things out?

Ok problem found, its out one tooth but i can't decide which cam is out, heres some pictures, i think its the exhaust but i cant be sure.

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00083.jpg

Working on the car right now so a quick reply would be great.
Pretty clean inside aswell ?

One on the left being inlet and me looking at the picture upside down yes i meant inlet haha.
Thank you you absoloubte legend Frank :D :D, i'm sure someone else had this problem not long ago.
If i ever see you at a show i will have to jump on you.

Fixed, thanks alot guys especially Frank.
Just need to sort my ignition timing but alls good.
Power increase is noticeable.

Back