Ecu Limp Mode???

Racing at the weekend and after doing alot of work on the head to let it breath better and rev harder i think i have hit a snag. Car hit 8500rpm and just died, no bangs, no warning just stopped. As it was on an oval i just hit the master switch and pulled in, was nearly sure it was something catastrophic mechanically so just left it get towed back to pits. Out of curiosity (and because the car owner was by that time wondering how much damage was done...lol) i tried turning it over and it started and ran perfect, no issues at all. I have the fuel pump wired separately to the ecu to bypass the fuel-cut off system which i presumed was in it. What i want to know is, is there a point when the ecu just cuts out to prevent engine damage?? i.e a fail-safe mode?

Just as a matter of interest to anyone, at those revs it was still running spot on, not a hint of valve bounce....incredible little engines these

i know if they find a problem through sensors and that they go into "limp mode" which is where the car runs but with a lack of power to be able to carry on for a distance safely, could be same thing but a further stage?

Back