ecu confusion

jowley

Ex. Club Member
hi ive got a 96 1.3 super s and need a adjustable ecu to contol the spark no other sensors are in use bar the temp sensor but if poss i want to keep everythig else through the standard ecu theres no lamba sensor or any manifold sensor. which ecu will do this?
michael

There is no way that the spark can be properly controlled on the stock ecu if the only sensor you are using is the water temp one. Have you removed the air flow meter or something?

there are ecu's that will only do spark but none without tapping into some sensors. Depending on what you wanna do you could advance/retard the dizzy but that is a contstant change throught the range.

Why exactly do you need a ingition module?

its running bike carbs no inlet sensors or lamba sensor the coolant sensor is just in use for temp gauge an fan but needs somethin to sort the spark out would a thottle postion sensor help?

jowley

my ignition works ok on gas, with the injector plugs removed, but like you say, ideally you need to rig up a tps on your throttle cable

NO no no no no no no.

Look this is a bodge of the highest order.

The OEM ecu uses AFM voltage for load. You no longer have this so there is NO way to use the OEM ecu for reliable ignition management. Quite simply you have to dump the system and do it properly, or you are wasting your time.

http://www.omextechnology.co.uk/Ecus/200/omem200.htm

That is what you need to do the job properly.

Also for future reference if your going to ask technical questions PLEASE include ALL of the information needed in the first post.

Ed

sorry im just trying to know what ill need to give the car the best i know i need a aftemarket ecu but what sensor would be best to give the most accurate load to advance/retard the spark

The airflow meter is the only sensor that can do this on the OEM ECU.

If you decide to ditch the oem ecu then you can use Alpha N or Map sensor (Alpha N is what most would use in your case)

If I appear overly harsh its because people so often overlook/try to take short cuts on stuff like this which is absolutely VITAL to the success of the project.

thanks ed how much to set the ecu up an the bike carbs?? will be near end of jan?
will be the omex 200 ecu an map sensor

you probably cannot use a map sensor unless you have a point to take of vacuum on the manifold? To do it properly you'd be looking around £600 ish to fit and map (on dyno - the only way to do it right) but I don't do those carbs so if they are not setup then that would hinder the job.

Back