Economical Exhaust System...

meji

Club Member (Trial)
Hey guys, I've finally got my White K11 back on the road.

Anyway I've got a full standard Nissan Micra exhaust system.
But I've left mine on for now because the back box is blowing a little bit, so it sounds kinda cool.

This will probably only last a couple more days however before I decide to put the good one on.
BUT I like the sound, but I don't like how it drinks the fuel in the higher revs.

Are there... by any chance... any economical exhaust systems out there?
Decent MPG AND a decent sound? (not chavvy just nicer than standard if you know what I mean)

So yeah, :D

Jack.

you said it back box change
Aye, I've got another Nissan Micra back box, one which isn't blown.

BUT I was wondering if any company by any chance, had made one which was of similar if not just a tad less economical standards.

Like basically, NICE SOUNDING ECO EXHAUST... DOES THAT EXIST FOR A MICRA.

Lol I must of wrote too much for you to realise what I meant ;)

Ohh will it not?
Sorry I'm not that clued up about vehicles, I'm only just learning.

So even if I was to put, for example a Sportex backbox on, my fuel economy shouldn't be effected. Or if it does it won't be a drastic change.
Thanks!

I used a piece of straight 38mm pipe clamped on with a universal bracket. The whole thing cost under £10, sounded sweet, looked standard and didn't change my fuel economy.

ok well if it were me i would give up 1-2 or even 5mpg for a more free flowing exhaust system with even a 0.01 bhp increase let the engine breath! (how would you like to work with a clogged pipe attached to you mouth lol)

I used a piece of straight 38mm pipe clamped on with a universal bracket. The whole thing cost under £10, sounded sweet, looked standard and didn't change my fuel economy.

man, you're enomomy must have been bad to start with! my k11 had a fairly large hole behind the back box, and it dropped approx 10mpg down to about 35mpg, the straight pipe would only be the same as NO silencer, and it maybe an attraction to the pigs for noise pollution.

It wasn't that loud as it was a small diameter pipe. I did the same number of miles every week so I would've noticed a drop in fuel economy, it stayed exactly the same. It'd change if you removed the cats or replaced the manifold but by the time you get to the backbox it doesn't really matter.

People think a 'sports exhaust' gives less MPG for the same reason they 'think' it gives more BHP, because they have been told that's what will happen, so in their mind that's what does happen. The power of suggestion. The standard backbox isn't that restrictive in comparison to the rest of the system.

I found this in an exhaust manual:

Reducing exhaust backpressure can improve fuel economy and performance. Reducing restrictions in the exhaust system allows the exhaust to flow more easily so the engine can breathe more efficiently.

I found this in an exhaust manual:

Reducing exhaust backpressure can improve fuel economy and performance. Reducing restrictions in the exhaust system allows the exhaust to flow more easily so the engine can breathe more efficiently.

i smiled :D

A full performance exhaust system will make you use more fuel though as you'll constantly have your foot flat to the floor to feel the power.

ok well if it were me i would give up 1-2 or even 5mpg for a more free flowing exhaust system with even a 0.01 bhp increase let the engine breath! (how would you like to work with a clogged pipe attached to you mouth lol)

As I said olly :) and yeah wouldn't mind it really a happy car is a happy shaun :)

Back