ECC, Nov 1988 Onwards.

JStone

Ex. Club Member
Trying to fit a weber and getting confused

I'm trying to install my shiny new weber (thanks to sammyboi) but it's proving a pain. After running through every option It finally hit me that my 1989 Micra LS is running on the full Electronically Controlled Carb/Ignition system. Is there a method to bypass this problem? The first thing that springs to mind is using resistors across the contacts on the two sets of leads that connect to the Hitatchi carb. Is that how it works?

I apologise if this has been over before, but I kinda need my car and I've search for ECC with no luck. Cheers! :D

To clarify, this is a 1 litre engine and most things listed in the EGR removal guide are not present inside the engine bay. How ever, I've been through everything it might be and it just flat out doesn't work.

I've tried running it rich, I've tried running it lean, I've tried setting the idle speed way beyond what it should be, I've tried advancing and retarding the dizzy and none of these things work. The engine will work when I'm revving with the throttle, but as soon as I try and let it idle it just coughs and splutters its self to death.

If it's not the ECC and I'm being stupid, please point it out to me.

P.S. Has anyone else installed a new carb of a 1989 LS with an ECC system? :p

The webber has a manual choke.
I've got the choke run into the interior and the car will run "sort of" with the choke pulled out. How ever, when the car is warm (according to the temperature gauge and the heat coming from the engine!) and I put the choke it, the car just cuts out when it tries to idle. Also, when I keep giving it some stick (high revs) and I try to reverse out the drive it just putters out under any load.

Is the choke the ONLY thing controlled on these electronic carbs in 1 litres 1988 and beyond? Or is there more to it?

Did you replace the carb gasket? If not, was in good condition?

The choke is automatic on the hitachi carb, there is also a small electronic box under the passenger seat that adjusts the idle depending on alternator load.

Did you replace the carb gasket? If not, was in good condition?

The choke is automatic on the hitachi carb, there is also a small electronic box under the passenger seat that adjusts the idle depending on alternator load.
I used some "Loctite Instant Gasket" rather than a new gasket. Guy at the garage said it'd work fine rather than the properly shaped gasket for the join. So yes, it's sealed properly...Or should be.

13.5 in the haynes reads (under ignition system):
All 1.0 models November 1988-on and all 1.2 models with out catalytic converters ........ Electronic, Incorporating distributer (With IC ignition unit and conventional mechanical and vacuum advance/retard) and ignition coil.

I think, rereading it in hinds sight that I may have read this incorrectly.

So lets change this to something liiike...:
Why isn't it working? :doh:

The seal is good, I did what the packet told me to do, so if it's not that what else can it be? Hit me with some ideas.

(I'll double check the gasket tomorrow, just in case...)

justin

if it,s dying when you try to pull away, it,s probably too lean, is the air filter fitted ?, and what do you mean you,ve tried running it rich and lean ?

justin

if it,s dying when you try to pull away, it,s probably too lean, is the air filter fitted ?, and what do you mean you,ve tried running it rich and lean ?
I've spent all day going through every possible setting I can with my petrol head brother in law (who also had a micra and modified it) and we're both stumped. My inability to read lead me to believe it's the ECC unit, but now that's been ruled out I'm not sure what it is.

It dies when pulling away when it's set rich too! The air filter is fitted as well.

Could incorrectly set jets and choke cause this? I thought that just caused it to run inefficiently...

P.S. I'm sorry if my posts seem like rambles, I type as I think and as things dawn on me it changes how I finish my post. :doh:

After thinking more about it, it does seem more and more likely that there is a bad seal...Can someone with more knowledge than me explain what the side effects of a bad seal are?

justin

if it was previously setup for a 1.2, the jet,s may be the wrong size and the idle mixture may be out.
surely a non electronic carb will run independently from the ecu, and the fueling will be ok (apart from the emissions).
air filter ??

justin

if it was previously setup for a 1.2, the jet,s may be the wrong size and the idle mixture may be out.
surely a non electronic carb will run independently from the ecu, and the fueling will be ok (apart from the emissions).
air filter ??
Yeah, I was running with the filter on. I've emailed fordy (who previous got and cleaned up the carb) about what it's running at (For all I know it could be off a land rover!) but I would've thought that it'd still function to some degree even with incorrect jets.

Yeah, never mind the ECU/ECC crap. It's just my fragmented mind getting horribly confused.:grinning:

forget about the word ecu. Is the vacuum hose to the airpan correctly connected / is it leaking air?

scratch that, i think that mechanism only apllies to the hitachi carb. Basically, the hitachi carb is much better then the webber. Put the hitachi back on.

scratch that, i think that mechanism only apllies to the hitachi carb. Basically, the hitachi carb is much better then the webber. Put the hitachi back on.
Really? The Hitachi that was fitted was idling in the 2000 range after I've been stuck in traffic for 30 minutes! The reason I was replacing it was due to the fact it's wasting me a lot of fuel by idling incorrectly...

richj might have a point with the vacuum hose. you wont have the idle compensator valve anymore, but is there a vacuum hose flapping around that's not connected to anything? if so block it up and see how it runs. I don't know how much has been changed when you changed the carb so I might be going in completely the wrong direction, but its just a thought.

That was the hose I was thinking about Andy, the one that adjusts the choke when the engine / air is cold. Doesnt apply to the webber. JStone, you want to try a replacement hitachi. Should only be about a tenner. I have one krazy k10 gave me if you want to try it out. I ran the weber for about 5 months roughly 5 years ago. It might even be the same weber, I sold mine for £45 back then.

That was the hose I was thinking about Andy, the one that adjusts the choke when the engine / air is cold. Doesnt apply to the webber. JStone, you want to try a replacement hitachi. Should only be about a tenner. I have one krazy k10 gave me if you want to try it out. I ran the weber for about 5 months roughly 5 years ago. It might even be the same weber, I sold mine for £45 back then.
All my vacuum hoses are intact and in working order. I'll try the Hitachi again today and go over everything again.

unless its been fitted aftermarket your 89 1 litre LS, will not hace the ECC setup on it, the late ie 91/92 1.2 super s and SLX (i think) were the only 2 cars to be fitted with the ECC system.

mines a 91 1 litre LS and that has a couple of wires going to the carb, autochoke, anti dieseling solenoid and the idel up solenoid, all of which are just left unconnected when you fit a webber for instance, well i left them unconnected when i had the bike carbs fitted

unless its been fitted aftermarket your 89 1 litre LS, will not hace the ECC setup on it, the late ie 91/92 1.2 super s and SLX (i think) were the only 2 cars to be fitted with the ECC system.

mines a 91 1 litre LS and that has a couple of wires going to the carb, autochoke, anti dieseling solenoid and the idel up solenoid, all of which are just left unconnected when you fit a webber for instance, well i left them unconnected when i had the bike carbs fitted
Weber's jetted to a Landrover. Reason my Hitachi was idling high was because one of the vacuum hoses had a thin split down the middle of the hose (not near the connecting points) where I assume it'd been crushed.

Car works fine now. Cheers for the help and clarification anyway!

Back