Driving Test Tips

Relax, stick to limits, obey the rules, check your mirrors!

You'll be fine!

/\/\/\
thats all really!!

Oh and just treat it as if its another lesson like normal! Worked for me first time! And with the mirrors thing, make sure you move your head, so the examiner knows for sure that you did check it! Like over-exagerate it!
And we took the learner car through the car wash before as we had spare time, maybe for good luck, maybe as it needed a clean, will never know now :laugh:

mirrors, mirrors, mirrors, before you do anything at all check your mirrors, speeding up, slowing down, changing position on the road, indicating, anything at all. Above all, relax, it's only a driving test, if you fail then you just do it again.

Someone told me to do the test like I'd already passed it. And if you can forget about the money its costing, that helps!

Best of luck. But if you fail, book the next one for a Saturday morning at 8.30am... quietest time of the week :laugh:

Observation Observation Observation!!!

As silly as it sounds but make it obvious you are using the mirrors... Tilt your head slightly up.. just a tad when checking the rear view mirror... and make sure you do your life saver glances... especially when exiting a roundabout...

Anticipation... relax your eyes and take in the view all around... don't develop tunnel vision by looking at the car infront but look a few cars ahead so you can get a smooth ride... without harsh braking and excessive aceleration...

Assume that lamposts in residental roads mean 30mph unless otherwise stated... 20-25mph is ok too... and <20 is plenty when kids are at play...

Know your high way code inside out.. always give a signal where possible and if you encounter a bridge then remember to wait and BEEP!

Don't flash your lights to give way to someone or thank them! Use your hand to thank you instead...

Be courteous... but not so courteous that you get no where... e.g. at a roundabout if you have a chance... and can enter safely then do so but if not then don't take unecessary risks.

If you can then a highly recommended text is: The essential Police Driver's Handbook! Blaady excellent book!!! Learning never stops. Also have a quick browse of the safe driving tips on the RoSPA site! Google: RoSPA!

Drive safely...

Goodluck.

don't book it for the quietest time, book it in rush hour. the test is still the same amount of time, whether you drive for miles or are stuck in traffic.

Just remember that you can fail for the tinyest thing so you need to concentrate all the time on a perfect drive.
I failed my first test with 1 major and 6 minors, the major was for doing 35mph in a 40mph limit. (Thats perfectly true btw, i'm not lying!)
Second time i only got 2 minors but got a major because a van beeped at me on a roundabout for supposedly being to close to him, i thought i was ok but there you go!
You can only book one test at a time, have to wait 10days after failing before you can resit, and were i live there is an 8 week waiting list.

I failed mine on friday for the van incident... i'm well annoyed with only 2 minors! Earliest i could get for retest is 18th november, so i'm gonna ring up every morning and night till i get someones cancellation!

Listen carefully to what the instructor tells you, and just watch out for the small silly mistakes that people make all the time in real life but they will pounce on you for in your test...

Back