Driveshafts...

Hello everyone I'm currently upgrading the driveline on my SR20 Micra. Can anyone tell me if the GA16DE C.V Joints are the same as the SR20DE? I need front hubs that are the same as the Almera Gti ones because I'm finding it hard finding scrap ones. Cheers

I doubt the joints are the same, almera gti owners have had nightmares sourcing a decent cv joint after the originals fail. Even new ones you buy arent made to the correct spec and fail almost instantly.

What hub setup you going for if you get everything?

Hello and thanks for reply. Basically I want to get a hub face that is PCD 4x100 that will take an SR20DE driveshaft so I can get it turned down on a lathe and then press it into the Micra wheel bearing. I was curious if GA16DE engined cars had the same number and size splines on the outer part of the CV joint and hub as the SR20DE engined cars have?

No, I'm not reusing the old ones. They were just for testing purposes really. They are half Primera half Micra. I want to make or get some Primera shafts made up because they are bigger and I was planning to go turbo in the future. The micra side of the shaft is quite small campaired to the Primera one

What we did for my mini conversion was because the driveshafts I had were bigger in shaft diameter than the spline I needed and longer than required he cut the shaft off to length then turned down the shaft to size and cut the required splines on the shaft I already had so I got a one piece (not welded) shaft and he only had to machine one end. So MUCH cheaper than a billlet shaft but just as strong.

Only works because the shaft diameter was larger than the OD of the splines and the required shaft was longer than the one I had already, if you aren't cutting all of the Primera outer splines off you may need to check that there's enough material after they have been removed...

No, I'm not reusing the old ones. They were just for testing purposes really. They are half Primera half Micra. I want to make or get some Primera shafts made up because they are bigger and I was planning to go turbo in the future. The micra side of the shaft is quite small campaired to the Primera one

Well in that case can you use ga16 hubs and cv's?? (GA outer/SR inner?) Unless the size difference is still big and your set on using SR.

I had a donor car when i did mines so ive used SR inner and outer.

Hello and thanks for the replys! Fuzzy-hair-man I never even thought of that. So you had the splines cut into the outer end of the shaft after turning it down? Where did you get that done? There are a few machine shops near my work and a CPS that we have an account with, I was going to ring about. I think I'm gonna go to the scrappy and have a look at the ga16 setup too

Thanks

I'm in Australia so I doubt where is useful to you but it was an engineering place in Brisbane, he was very reasonable too.

Once you have your shafts measure carefully the length shaft you want and if that cuts off all of the current spline your looking good then compare the ODs

I was originally thinking along the same lines of getting them cut and welded up but he suggested this way, I'm he did because it's a stronger, neater, and probably cheaper solution.
Looking at an on line video and there is specialized equipment for cutting splines so maybe look for someone who has that machine.

Back