Driveshafts and CV joints

Driveshafts and CV joints - updated question

Couple of questions

My CV boots / joints weren't put back in right, and even though they've been repacked with grease both sides, they're still clunking like a mofo. Do the inner CVs go as often as the outers, and is having the outers done likely to highlight any problems with the inner ones?

Anyone know any cheaper sources for inner CV joints, can only find the outers on ebay.....or are they the same??

Worst case scenario.....replace driveshafts - Are the K11 driveshafts interchangable between K11s? Ie between the 3 and 5 door, between the 1.0 and the 1.3 and between the pre and post facelift? I guess auto / manual are different?

Thanks. :)

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
i don't know... lol :)

but my brother had a honda civic and he came to me saying that it make clanking noises when he drove round corners and had been doing it for a while, so i took his car for a spin and it was horrible lol, so i jacked it up and found that the outer CV boot had good and grit had got in. so i told him it would need to be replaced ASAP but as we parked the car the CV joint snapped and it wouldn't move at all (the dif locked when the resistance was gone)

so i went to a scrappy and found a car that looked like my brothers' car and robbed the whole drive shaft out, changed it over and it drove fine... ish

the drive shaft was actually a tiny bit longer because the car i had got it off had ABS so the shaft wobbled. also because i didn't know what i was doing, lots of stuff got damaged like... everything but it did mean we could drive it to the scrappy instead of pushing it lol :)

so if your shafts are clunking (that sounds sooo wrong lol :)) then i recon the CV joints are still damaged, does it make the noise only on corners?

i think either CV is just as likly to go because they both operate at an angle anyway but then the outer one is closer to the ground hmmm....

Id go to a scrappy for joints (again that sounds dodgy haha) get the whole drive shaft, only cost me £20... i recon all micra shafts will be the same as long as they are CG because i think CGA are different apart from that they should all be the same :)

good luck hope this helps and i hope you get it sorted ;).... for JAE ;)
you are comming yea? eveyone is!!

I'm not going to JAE, don't do camping! :down: Plus, it's the other side of the world pretty much to me.

Anyways, back on topic......anyone else know if all drive shafts are the same?

The noise was actually fixed for about a day, after the boots were regreased, but now it's back, so I reckon some damage was done the first time round. God, it's so emabarassing clucking around corners lol.

I think you'll find all CG13DE with manual transmissions will have the same CV's.

I think the CG10 shafts are thinner and weaker, possibly different lengths (different gearbox). CGA3 or the auto boxes... NFI.

Clunking basically means the CV is worn out. The boots don't have to be broken for them to be worn out and clicking. If it clicks around corners it means the outer joints are rooted. If it clunks when the suspension is moving up and down - the inner joints are rooted.

Talk to any local mechanics and possibly try and find someone in your area who does CV shaft reconditioning. They probably operate on an exchange basis (you give them your old CV's and money, they give you some reconditioned CV joints with brand new boots for you to slam in your car and be on your way). Doing it this way bypasses the local mechanic's extra labour costs, so you'll be saving money! ALso look in your yellow/white pages/local business directory - whatever you lot call it. Look for CV shaft Reconditioners.

Alternatively search the scrap yards. If you find a low mile K11 with the same engine size and gearbox as yours (double check its shafts against yours before you pay for them) and the boots are intact, buy them and then take them to one of those reco joints and get new boots put on them just to be safe (rubber deteriorates over time).

Goodluck!

Yom said:
Clunking basically means the CV is worn out. The boots don't have to be broken for them to be worn out and clicking. If it clicks around corners it means the outer joints are rooted. If it clunks when the suspension is moving up and down - the inner joints are rooted.

Thanks, that's very useful information!

Just had one joint replaced, but it's still clunking on that same side (worse than it was before the joint was replaced), which makes me think that the new one was damaged when the driveshaft wasn't put back in right.

NeX

Club Member
rallybunny said:
I'm not going to JAE, don't do camping! :down: Plus, it's the other side of the world pretty much to me.

Anyways, back on topic......anyone else know if all drive shafts are the same?

The noise was actually fixed for about a day, after the boots were regreased, but now it's back, so I reckon some damage was done the first time round. God, it's so emabarassing clucking around corners lol.

:down: oh well lol you'll have to come to a SW meet some time...

I'm 100% sure that the CV joint is gone. replace it ASAP or you will be stranded when it goes... join the AA quick lol :)

Ok, one more silly question.....would presume that if the clunking was when turning left, it would be the left hand joint that was gone, and vice versa??

NeX

Club Member
rallybunny said:
Ok, one more silly question.....would presume that if the clunking was when turning left, it would be the left hand joint that was gone, and vice versa??

kinda. it should make the clunking sound on both corners but the inside wheel will have more force on it...

get a mate to lean out the passenger window to see if they can hear which wheel it is.

or drive round someone in a car park :)

the clunking should get worse the closer to full lock you are because the CV joint has to work harder... oh and that has just made me realise that the outer CV joints ARE more likly to go because they have to flex with the steering as well as the suspention where as the inner ones only have to deal with up and down.

so you'll probably find that it is your outer CV joint on the left hand side :)

Methinks I'll be having a little drive round work's carpark tommorrow morning. Make sense what you say, that it would be the left one - clunking is quite loud when turning left, and a little bit when I turn right.

This is the one that's just been done though - maybe I got send the wrong joint to begin with, or would that not fit at all?

NeX

Club Member
rallybunny said:
Methinks I'll be having a little drive round work's carpark tommorrow morning. Make sense what you say, that it would be the left one - clunking is quite loud when turning left, and a little bit when I turn right.

This is the one that's just been done though - maybe I got send the wrong joint to begin with, or would that not fit at all?

what exactly did you do?

normally you get a whole drive shaft rather than bits. if you changed the whole drive shaft then it looks like the one you were given was dodgy

NeX said:
what exactly did you do?

normally you get a whole drive shaft rather than bits. if you changed the whole drive shaft then it looks like the one you were given was dodgy

Had the CV joint done about a month ago, because my mate that changed the boot said the joint looked knackered (although it wasn't noisy, said it was something that should be done within a few months). Also had a boot done on the other side. About a week after this, started clunking (when it wasn't very noisy at all before the joint was done). Took it back on Tuesday - the boots had popped off, they were put back on and regreased. Started making noise again the next evening.

NeX

Club Member
rallybunny said:
Had the CV joint done about a month ago, because my mate that changed the boot said the joint looked knackered (although it wasn't noisy, said it was something that should be done within a few months). Also had a boot done on the other side. About a week after this, started clunking (when it wasn't very noisy at all before the joint was done). Took it back on Tuesday - the boots had popped off, they were put back on and regreased. Started making noise again the next evening.

well i'm thinking either it wasn't actually changed (because normally thats a whole new driveshaft) or when the boots poped off, some grit got in there and is still in there and has shafted the berings...

If it was me i'd go to a scrappy and get a spare anyway, keep it in the car and if your one goes you can get an RAC guy to change them over there and then :)

NeX said:
well i'm thinking either it wasn't actually changed (because normally thats a whole new driveshaft) or when the boots poped off, some grit got in there and is still in there and has shafted the berings...

If it was me i'd go to a scrappy and get a spare anyway, keep it in the car and if your one goes you can get an RAC guy to change them over there and then :)

Think I will get a spare, like you say. :down:

But, I supplied the CV joint, and my o/h was there when the work was done, so I know it was changed.

Had a little spin in the car park this morning, at I does sound worse when going to opposite way to the one I had done, so I guess I should get the opposite one done too.

NeX

Club Member
rallybunny said:
Think I will get a spare, like you say. :down:

But, I supplied the CV joint, and my o/h was there when the work was done, so I know it was changed.

Had a little spin in the car park this morning, at I does sound worse when going to opposite way to the one I had done, so I guess I should get the opposite one done too.

oh`well, i hope you get it all sorted, keep us updated. try not to let it break before you have a replacement or you'll end up stranded like my brother was lol you should have seen the face of the pickup guy when we asked him if he could take the car 200 miles from wales to wiltshire lol,

On bumps there are other things which can go CLUNK too.

Suspension top hats are my first inspection point. Then the bushings on the lower wishbones.

NeX

Club Member
yea but this is a repetative clunk...

that CV joint looks ok. me personally i'd still get a whole new shaft but that CV joint should be fine :)

Thanks for the advice. :)

NeX said:
yea but this is a repetative clunk...

that CV joint looks ok. me personally i'd still get a whole new shaft but that CV joint should be fine :)

Like I said.....cheapest first :blush: . I'm skint.

NeX

Club Member
rallybunny said:
Thanks for the advice. :)

Like I said.....cheapest first :blush: . I'm skint.

lol, well good luck, if you run into any problems you know where we are ;)

and keep us updated :D

NeX said:
lol, well good luck, if you run into any problems you know where we are ;)

and keep us updated :D

Thanks. I'm such a girl.:blush: I'm going to wait until next week though, cos I'll have had my license long enough to get a courtesy car then, lol.

E

Elliestar

thsi thread sorted me right out, my left side cv joint is clunking like a git, so im gunna get under there in a few days and sort the git out...
wish me luck!!!

NeX

Club Member
yep the worst bit is knocking the spline through the centre of the hub... took me hours!!!

good luck or well done on all the people who are dealing with CV joints ;)

rallybunny said:
Thanks. I'm such a girl. I'm going to wait until next week though, cos I'll have had my license long enough to get a courtesy car then, lol.

lol well i have a courtesy car at the mo as my car is off the road grr

because i'm 20 they can only give me a 1.0!! because i can't be trusted with anything bigger even though i have a 1.3 and a 1.6!!

ask them if you can have a 160SR lol i asked them if they had any micras and they gave me a smart car :down:

NeX said:
lol well i have a courtesy car at the mo as my car is off the road grr

because i'm 20 they can only give me a 1.0!! because i can't be trusted with anything bigger even though i have a 1.3 and a 1.6!!

ask them if you can have a 160SR lol i asked them if they had any micras and they gave me a smart car :down:

Lol, it's not my age that was a problem :blush: , but the length I'd had my license (less than a year). Anyway, the courtesy cars that the garage that I use are new Fiestas, so no fun there. They work evenings though, so I went down and got it done the same night. They've got a rolling road, should've got the Micra done when I was there, lol.

NeX

Club Member
rallybunny said:
Lol, it's not my age that was a problem :blush: , but the length I'd had my license (less than a year). Anyway, the courtesy cars that the garage that I use are new Fiestas, so no fun there. They work evenings though, so I went down and got it done the same night. They've got a rolling road, should've got the Micra done when I was there, lol.

ah cool a rolling road :D

well i bet you are driving sooo carfully if you've only had your licence a year... any tiny mistake and you could loose your licence :(

i had a new corsa 1.4 sport for a day.... sooo slow! all new cars seem to be sooo rubbish... apart from a ford mondo estate 2.0TDi Zetec!!! now that was fun :) but i got in deep poo for driving it cos i wasn't allowed :(

NeX said:
well i bet you are driving sooo carfully if you've only had your licence a year... any tiny mistake and you could loose your licence :(

Passed a year today. I will be one of those annoying drivers that sticks glued to the speed limit for another year I'm afraid. :down: But at least I can do that now without a clicky CV joint. :laugh:

NeX

Club Member
rallybunny said:
Passed a year today. I will be one of those annoying drivers that sticks glued to the speed limit for another year I'm afraid. :down: But at least I can do that now without a clicky CV joint. :laugh:

HAHAHA well i'm sure the lack of clicking will make it just about berable lol

evey time my mates' car makes a new noise he just turns the stereo up lol... hes on his 3rd car and he's a year younger than me!!

you should vent your frustration on the combe track ;).... have you ever bought you micra to combe? lol or is it skyline all the way lol

Well I replaced all 4 of my CV boots yesterday. Oh my god that standard inner grease - the brown stuff which has the consistancy of liquid poo.... Ergh. Went freaking everywhere!
Plus the jockstraps didn't sell me the right CV boots. 2 were too tight and the other 2 were a bit too loose for my likings. But the slack was taken up by the metal camp straps. Dunno how long they'll last though. There's a 2 year/40,000km warrenty on the boots though. :)

But yeh, overall it wasn't too hard really. Just lots and lots of stuffing around with the freaking grease.

NeX

Club Member
Yom said:
Well I replaced all 4 of my CV boots yesterday. Oh my god that standard inner grease - the brown stuff which has the consistancy of liquid poo.... Ergh. Went freaking everywhere!
Plus the jockstraps didn't sell me the right CV boots. 2 were too tight and the other 2 were a bit too loose for my likings. But the slack was taken up by the metal camp straps. Dunno how long they'll last though. There's a 2 year/40,000km warrenty on the boots though. :)

But yeh, overall it wasn't too hard really. Just lots and lots of stuffing around with the freaking grease.

the CV joints seem to have alot more grease in them that you'd think lol, and once it is free of the CV boot you'll find it everywhere!

frank

Club Member

k11_whore

Steve :)
Yeah non abs i think, dont have a dash light saying abs so im assuming its not, never had to slam my brakes on so wouldnt know, i thought 1.0 were weaker than the 1.3s i read somewhere? Been on loads of websites and done the numberplate check so they cn find what i need but bring up 5 different ones lol

k11_whore

So if any1 could help me by puttin a link up of what i need would be much appreciated, dont dare drive the car incase lose all drive or control of the car if it pops out, its 2001 facelift 1.0s thanks

yeah true when i phones up to get a boot before i had to buy the 2 sizes as i didnt know!

what size is mine i vaugly remember using the smaller one possibly

k11_whore

She said it isnt the 19 one, i rang them uip asking i dont know which one to buy and she asked for every detail to make sure i got the right one, ie year, engine, and numberplate check and reassured me when she asked her colleague,

frank

Club Member
She said it isnt the 19 one, i rang them uip asking i dont know which one to buy and she asked for every detail to make sure i got the right one, ie year, engine, and numberplate check and reassured me when she asked her colleague,
i,ve fitted k10 c/v,s to my pre-face 1.0,s more than once fwn
here,s the difference in size of the inboard ones

Attachments

• cv.jpg
    cv.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 454

frank

Club Member
So i shouldnt get the ones in that link then? Excuse my thickness lol

i,ve never owned a facelift k11, but its common knowledge that prior to 98/facelift the 1.0,s were fitted with the k10 derived smaller RS5F41 g/box and shafts (so k10 and p/f 1.0 k11 c/v,s are different to all other k11,s)