Driveshafts

Titch

Micra K11ng
My passenegr one is shagged. Need to replace it with a new one - is it easy to do? What all is involved?

:kungfu:

was going to say,,if its hub end that shagged,,its alot less messing around just to change that part than the whole thing,

Its dead easy, I did the passenger one on mine last weekend.

1. get the car up in the air/jacked up.

2. remove road wheel

3. remove split pin and driveshaft hub nut (the big one in the middle)

4. remove bottom balljoint nut, and seperate balljount from hub (may take some persuasion with a hammer) you may need to lever the wishbone down to seperate.

5. do not touch the track rod end, you dont need to.

6. at this point you will notice the hub is loose'ish, pull the driveshat out of the back of the hub, but not the gearbox side yet.

7. this is the tricky bit. have your new driveshaft near by, clean and ready. then gently (and i mean gently) use a screwdriver or other such small lever to pop the old one out of the gearbox, now there is 3 litres of oil back there just waiting to fall all over your driveway, so have a suitable tray under it. as soon as the old one is out, insert the new one and make sure its all the way in (you have to give it a tap, to it locks in).

8. hopefully, if you have been quick, you will only have a tiny bit of oil in the tray, if there is a lot, use a 1/4 inch ratchet to upen the gearbox plug and put it back in (provided its clean).

9. put the new driveshaft in the hub, but dont put the nut on yet.

10. put the balljoint back in the hub, and tighten the nut (might be a pain)

11. put on the hub nut, and tighten, then add a new split pin.

12. check everything, and put the roadwheel back on.

13. test it, and check for oil leaks.

have fun now.

just to add to that guide ,,those cir-clips are easy to break/bend(the ones on the driveshaft) be careful

agreed, sorry forgot about the circlips.

to ensure they stay in the correct position, use a little grease (not cv grease) to hold them in place.

they should be central round the shaft, so that no one bit is sticking out. this way they will slide in, and click easly.

you will see what i mean when fitting them.

Good luck bro.

ok man - cheers. Will need to get it sorted before the winter as its getting colder and wetter these days!

Yes - i'm in Kinross. Might be going through to Crail aye. Not sure tho as at a wedding in Dundee the day before (@ the Hilton) so i may be thorugh. You going to be there? :)

dam right, ill be putting her to the test down the strip all day.

If you see a dark red k11 with a blonde guy driving it, come over and introduce yourself.

i will either be beside the strip, or in the queue to race.

And i'll be there with Video Camera in Hand :)

Will let you have alook at my car also - see if you can suggest a few problems!

Titch :kungfu:

Back