Drifting technique

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
I recently removed all the weight out the rear of my car, the only thing in the boot is the carpet atm. Anyway yesterday I was going round a roundabout, I dropped it down a gear to leave and stepped on the go pedal and the back end stepped right out.
This resulted in me going round the roundabout a second time all the while holding the drift

So I was wondering what everyone elses technique was. I thought the only way to drift a FWD car was to use the e-brake but I guess not

you running standard suspension? no weight in the back and standard suspension is bad...there was a guy on here whos micra oversteered and he ended up in a hedge. due to there being no weight on the back end.

by backend only steps out if i lift :eek:, ie, understeer at full throttle, 4 wheel drift at 1/3 throttle, and oversteer on lift (so you have to control the drift with the throttle)

The only time I've ever drifted as such was in the snow but only at really low speed - probably the most fun I've ever had! I never get the back stepping out otherwise

olly, lift off oversteer: accelerate hard (weight to back), as you lift off the weight moves more to the middle, rear tyres have less grip & you can get the car oversteering. If you do the extremes: full throttle, full brake, steer, full throttle, you will spin easily. Getting a good slide is a mixture of those 4, possibly using 'lift off' instead of breaking.

I'm very (as in super!) surprised that you managed to get oversteer by stepping on the accelerator in an FF as this cause a weight shift to the back and a lowering of traction at the front usually causing understeer. If you left foot braked while stepping on it then that will usually cause oversteer providing you are pretty close the limit of grip anyway.

With this car if i want to oversteer without the handbrake i need a sweeping bend and to gradually pick up speed throughout it, done right towards the end of the bend the rear comes free (but not to much)

I tend to flick the steering into a corner rather than smoothly steering which probably explains the power on bit.

Back