Dodgy alternator?

Hello;

For the past couple of weeks has had slow running wipers, dim headlights/dashboard,
and rough idling. Sometimes when idling the battery light comes on. These do not all occur all the time, sometimes just one or two of the faults occur. Occasionally none occur. Other times the battery light can stay on for a while when driving and go off suddenly. I have had the car looked at twice. First time was told battery was shorting inside and was replaced. still the fault occured. So i took it back and had it tested again. This time the wires and connections to the alternator were checked and cleaned. both times the alt was tested and no fault could be found with it. could something else cause these problems or is it the alternator as i think. I was quoted £320 to replace so i hope for another fault.:down:

That does sound like it could be a dodgy alternator. Either that, or the battery isn't holding its charge. How old is the battery?

That does sound a bit steep. They're easy to replace yourself, and you can grab one off eBay for less than £100

boy o boy as some garages know its soon vacation time they are uping prices i bet!
some garages i said . plenty honest one's around

Yeah, there's a fair scattering of good ones, and theiving ones. Just a case of finding the right ones. I'd rather do all the work myself though, save the hassle

Back