Alternator

Looks like I need a replacement alternator, there is low voltage across the battery, low volts between the alternator big terminal and earth, and a dim red light on dashboard. I've cleaned up the connections, and the engine cuts out immediately if the battery is disconnected. My car is 2002 with PAS and no AC. So is there's anything else I can try to get mine working, or what year alternators would fit? Or indeed is there anyone near me in Waterford with one to spare? Ta.

Hmmm, thanks, maybe the local auto electrician would sell me some. How much meat should be left on the brushes, do you think?

alternator brushes only carry the field coil current and usually outlast the car, and i think there are just 2 types of alternator, bolt-on wire and plug-in wires

alternator brushes only carry the field coil current and usually outlast the car, and i think there are just 2 types of alternator, bolt-on wire and plug-in wires
Some alternators have replaceable diode packs, which are a common failure, and allow a quick cheap fix to alternator problems, but as far I know the alternators on Micras don't have this luxury.......

Thanks for the replies guys, with the engine running I'm seeing about 11.33 volts across the battery, much the same between the alternator main terminal and earth. With the engine off, voltage rises to about 11.75 or so. What might explain that, I wonder? I think the alternator is putting some power into the battery, but not a lot.

Bite the bulket and fit either a second hand one or a new one....im a mechanid and wouldnt waste my time stripping one......and yes it is furbarred

Dave

So I got a used alternator in the breaker's, way out in the boondocks.
Me: Micra 2002,
Him: Old model or new,
Me: Old,
Him: Ah, the good one.
Got it home, disconnected the battery and leads, removed two bolts with a spanner and the tube from my axle stands, but the underneath one defeated me. Anger, shame and depression ensued. Gave up, went to the mechanic I bought the car from a couple of months ago, he said come back in the morning. So, I'm just back from there, and pleased that he too found it a hassle to undo the bottom bolt even using a 3 foot tube for extra leverage. Hook everything up and woo-hoo, no red light in the dash and 14.33 volts across the battery. It seems an amp reading would be more accurate, but I'm happy with volts. I probably should have changed the belt too but didn't. Michael O'Shea the mechanic did the work for no charge, which is good of him. Drove home with lights, wipers and heater fan on, and music up loud. Ain't electricity marvellous stuff? :D

Back