Alternator problem

lewic

Ex. Club Member
Have just discovered that my new car has a problem with the alternator. Battery was completely flat this morning and had to call out the breakdown people. The guy said that the alternator was charging ok when the lights were off, but as soon as anything electrical was switched on, it stopped charging properly.

He said there were two types of alternator on the K11, one is higher powered. If I got a replacement, is it best to go for the high powered one, or would it only fit the later cars? (mines an L reg 1.3 lx)

Also, would the K10 alternator fit?

the standard alternator should be more than up to the job, but if it's not working properly then replace it, it can't hurt to replace it with a higher output one either.

Have just ordered an alternator off Ebay, only seems to be one type for the K11 (as far as I can see). Fingers crossed that it isnt dodgy..

Just wondering how long it would take to change it? Was going to have a crack at it at the weekend with a mate. It doesnt look difficult, but one garage was quoting for nearly two hours labour - surely that cant be right?

A garage should charge about 1 hours labour, but then theyre fitting a part that your supplying. Fit it yourself mate they are really easy just make sure you disonnect the negative on the battery so you short out any wires.

not that hard 2 replace a alternator, there is 3 blots that hold it on and then the cables.

i changed 1 on my sisters car when hers decided to pack in and i hardnt done it before i just took my time and also took pics of the alternator before i started so if i did get stuck i could look at them and see what went where

there are two types of alternator, one that the cables bolt on and the other where they have a connector. i think the connector type is for pre-facelift.
i bet i could do one in half an hour......tops!

i could do one in half an hour......tops
Over to yours then!!

not that hard 2 replace a alternator, there is 3 blots that hold it on and then the cables
Yeah thats what the breakdown guy said. Good idea to take photos as you go along. It doesnt look too difficult in the Haynes but my mate (who has the tools and the space - sadly I dont!) is now moaning about the cold weather...dont blame him really, so it might have to go to a garage. Ouch, my overdraft!

as i said do it urself, take pics and take ur time, i did mine with no problems and i have never done anything on a engine before and i didnt use a haynes book either lol

Back