do i need a strut brace?

Antony

Ex. Club Member
howdy guys....i had a strange thing happened to me.....

i was minding my own business passing 1.4 corsa's and novas and stuff at arround 90mph when i hit a small "dip" in the road...nothing major...but my bonet popped open.....:wow: :wow: :wow:

so i was thinking to myself...if i had a strut brace would it have stopped that from happening?..... cos i think it was chassis flex...

thanks peoples:wasntme:

if you think about it how's a strut brace gonna stop the bonnet opening, it's linked to suspension, check the latch is working right.

or more to the point, make sure you close the bonnet properly ;)

Sometimes i've shut it and it's dropped but not latched, just give it a light push when it's down

the reason i say its the suspension tops is cos if they flex inwards the bonnet has no where to go but...up....if you stop them flexing inwords...problem solved....but yeah it was closed propperly......and it has happened to a few mates...mainly in vauxhalls. though,

At 90mph you will find a lot of bonnet flex is due to air being pushed up between the bulk head and the engine straight into the bonnet. If you look you will see that the bonnet rises slight at high speeds.

The amount of chasis flex caused by the suspension turrets moving would not cause the bonnet to open, the most likely solution is the combination of air pushing against the bonnet and a latched (not shut) bonnet

I had to do repairs on most my latches due to either not opening or not closing right, if you examine the latch you'll see it's spring loaded, I bust open my finger when it opened when I was playing with it, seems very unliekly it will open if closed properly, on my superS the bonnet used to shake really make but it never ever popped open.

thanks guys.... i may just remove it and put bonnet pins in instead....(and no not the chav ones... i mean the propper rally latches with locks..)

if you do take pics as I've considered but remember if you scrap the latch people can access your engine bay, most cars keep the latch as well

iv got one of them on my k11, but iv also dropped it 35 with KYB gas dampers, handles really well, but could be better

Daz :alien:

Back