Rear Strut Brace - Does it do anything?

Hi everyone,

I'm collecting handling components for my K11 and I have arrived at the point where I am looking for strut braces. Whilst the idea of a front one seems to offer some structural benefits under very hard driving, something about the need for a rear one has left me stumped...

The rear one bolts between the rear strut towers using the threads that extend from the top of the shocks right? Last time I looked at my K11 though, it looked as if the shocks are insulated from the mounting holes with rubber / plastic so that they probably move around slightly when cornering.

Doesn't that mean that fitting a strut brace wouldn't offer any structural benefit? I can imagine that the distance between the tops of the shocks wouldn't change under heavy cornering, but I didn't think that's what strut bars were for, I thought they were to stiffen the chassis up?

Does anyone know if this is the case, or if I am completely wrong?

Thanks,
Calum

imho the horizontal rear damper top struts are useless cos the independant rear dampers only handle vertical forces & motion and are pivoted at the top & bottom via rubber bushes to allow the solid axle beam to tilt freely. they do not have any effect on the geometric alignment of the rear wheels.

it'll be far more beneficial to try n stop the rear chassis structure from twisting under trail braking by stiffening with a cross brace or X brace or it's even better to stiffen the whole rear/mid section with a rollcage (that's also anchored to the rear strut tops to actually stop it flexing up/down), depending on if it suits ur insurer and ur application

Agreed with the above, the strut top ones are for show only. I have one which is bolted to the rear shock towers to stop them flexing inwards.

Thanks guys, looks like something I can strike off my list. I'll probably get a cage made up sooner rather than later. Any other useless handling components I should be aware of?

Back