diy spraying my micra?

stokie1985

Ex. Club Member
hi guys and gals, I'm thinking of getting a 1.3 k11 but the colour of the one I'm getting is green and I cant stand the colour! I was wondering if anyone on here is any good at spraying, I would supply the paint and materials and pay £80. I am thinking of doing it myself but I think I would just mess it up. I'm thinking of spraying it black or matte black. Anybody got any advice? Thanks in advance.

Ryan.

Pretty much no chance getting a decent, even gloss finish with rattle cans.

Matte is easy to do and can hide nasty body work which is why so many do it.

I painted my grill TJ4 blue. The cans were very expensive and very small. Although the finish came out okay it would have looked awful over the whole car.

Thought of buying a Micra that isn't green?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

Save for s proper gun first surely with the right amount of time and effort you could get an alright finish at least! I'm sure its doable.

I´m not a pro painter, far away from it, but I think it´s nice job to do (well, at least afterwards feels like it :cool: ). I had a dark Green colour, I actually liked it. However I changed the colour to lighter. Benefit of lighter colour is it doesn´t show all tiny dents so well and dirt doesn´t show so easily as well as on darker colour. Of course matt colour fades some dents too.

Personally I think painting with spray gun is a lot easier than spray can painting. Spray can painting is harder imo cos the paint is so thin and I manage to get too much runs with it. I paid my spray gun 29,90 € (24 £), tho it´s a direct copy of Sata-spray gun (even same parts fit). Don´t know if you got there these for sale but here up north they sell it brand names: Biltema, Aicon and Gern. Before I started paint job I read a lot of forums how to do it and about equipment also. One benefit of gun painting is also that if you´ve got many tiny dents you don´t have straighten all of them, primer filler covers those nicely. And if doesn´t you can spray another round and then sand it straight.

So, what I think you need is a spray gun, place to do the job, compressor (and waterseparator imo), sanding stuff, paint ware, mask (with good filters). I noticed that it´s important to keep gun clean and dust-free clothes. If you´re planning to paint outside there´s gonna be more dust on final result naturally. Dust and runs of course are possible to “get down” and shiny by wet sanding and buffing.

I painted my car in parts: took off wings, bonnet, doors, bumpers and boot lid, and painted the body last. If you do it this way you´ll get easily all parts colour coded around. Some people paint the whole car in one piece and paint door caps (right word??) later black or same colour as a car.

With colourfull greetings :) ,
Japi

Thanks all of you. I think I'm just gonna try and look for another micra in the colour I dont mind! Although the green micra is at an excellent price of only £425. But if I bought her, I know that the colour would just end up bugging me and I'd end up selling her! I've seen this one on ebay but I aint sure about it because of the gross black and yellow interior, and I dont like the green sr speedo. Even though thats any easy change. But I wonder how hard it would be to change the colour on the momo wheel and interior. What do you guys/gals think?

Ryan.

You talking about the red 1.3 sr with smooth boot on ebay? ive seen it don't look bad car... looks to me hes only spray the removable interior plastics so quite easy to spray what ever colour you wnt...

Or sticker bomb :D

Back