DIY spraying a black k11??

B

bal

ok so im doing mostly rust repair work to my k11
just a few questions

everytime i use the p38 body filler i always end up with a lump under the paint which i have sprayed, is there any trick to getting a nice smooth finish when sanding the body?

also my micra is kuro black and it has like a "mirror effect" to the paint work, the spray im using is a kuro black aerosol but it comes out as matt black with no mirror effect,
is laquer the answer here? or am i missing something?

any help with these issuses would be great

am no genius but if your not applying laquer to the paint then i highly imagine this is why your getting the matt black effect, its a clear laquer that makes it shine and metallic

if its metalic paint you will need to use laquer, if its not metalic the laquer is normally mixed in with the paint

Cheers dave!!

I know what you mean with the black paint, just done a rust problem under rear reg plate and had to spray.
I keep hearing that non metallics don't need lacquer but it seems to work better for me but the only answer really is experience, I've been using filler and spray only for few years (but often) and I'll still a noob, still have trouble bledning new paint into older paintwork.

Best advice is if you are going to do it and you don't like it, start again.

ah well if its just trial and error i'll get the cans out today and have another bash

cheers lads

If it's metallic anyway, I wouldn't recommend spraying at home because you'll never get the right finish with it.

They use an oven to bring the metallic flakes to the surface, you can't do it at home.

if your using rattle cans you will be Pi**ing into the wind to try and get a good finish.

as for getting your filler right basically once you have filled and sanded to what you think looks ok.
dust coat some primer on then look for any high spots/imperfections sand again and continue doing the dust coats/sanding till you are happy with the filling then top coat.

Thats so true!
The amount of times I've painted something to my left cause of the wind!
But when winds slow you can get good finishes, tcut it after, helps loads

mirror finish...i just use very fine wet and dry with plenty of soapy water...(sometimes on each coat - which is probably overkill but also depends on how the previous attempt went :)), just dont go to deep or you'll be getting out the spraycan again...then get the Tcut and polish out.

Ive only done smaller stuff...biggest being the front grill, but doing the above it looks just like the rest of the car...nice n shiny.

JayY said:
So whats the best way to deal with rust?

yeah cut it out, or use corse sand paper to get rid of it all. when your left with a hole inyour body either weld in a new piece of metal or use p40 to fill the hole then use p38 body filler to smooth over then sand with a fine grade sand paper

solarice what grade sand paper do you use to make the mirror effect?
i just used some 1200 wet n dry with soapy water and i accidently sanded back to the primer oooops back to spraying for me

I use a paint/rust pad on a drill, removes all rust and loose metal, I then cover in Kurust like this then it's filler time.
Was no real need to weld anything here.

I've never tried wet/dry with soapy water, think I will now

Back