Distributor lead patch up?

CMF_e79

» CMF Member
Took a look at the distributor leads this arvo and saw this on one of the leads. Looks like someone painted a red rubbery substance on one of the leads where the plug joins the engine.

Anyone know if this is this some sort of patch-up job? Car runs fine but would rather replace the leads if it is a patch up..

CMF_Lx_Micra

» CMF Member
cant tell exactly from the pic but theres insulating paint which is usually rubbery good for about 1000v depending on the thickness of the coat. I believe coils discharge at about 10 000v so you may likely have problems down the track if it becomes disturbed at some stage. thats my understanding of it. Anyone like to correct me ?

CMF_e79

» CMF Member
New distributor leads comming up! Not worth the risk in my oppinion.

Anyone know anyone who has a good set I could buy - Supercheap says $130 for Bosch ones.. About right?

CMF_e79

» CMF Member
Any advantage of the Top Guns over standard? Don't mind spending a bit extra if it does but don't want to just throw money at it for no reason. The car is stock and unlikely to receive anything more than a good intake, exhaust and a few other mild bits.

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
e79 WROTE:

"Any advantage of the Top Guns over standard? Don't mind spending a bit extra if it does but don't want to just throw money at it for no reason. The car is stock and unlikely to receive anything more than a good intake, exhaust and a few other mild bits.

Wont notice the difference over new stock leads if your running a stock set up.

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
1300cc WROTE:

"top guns at autobarn would be around $140, but wont buy second hand unless it done only few kms.....
its $120 now, if you do, get max300 ones they have the lowest Resistance compared to all including 9-10mm race leads, but they dont come that thick anyway lol(dont know why though)..

CMF_e79

» CMF Member
Thanks guys I'll go with Top Gun Max300's then. $120 isn't much cheaper than what Supercheap wanted for the Bosch ones but at least people know them.
Cheers

Back