Difficulty starting, like there's no spark while cranking

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
I did a quick search but didn't see anything quite like this.

The car roll starts instantly & easily, hot or cold.

When cold it's really hard to start, it's a little better when warmed up. It seems like it only catches when the key is turned from start back to ON.

Is there a separate fuse for the ignition circuit (or fuel pump or ECU or something), while the key is in the crank position, versus ON?

Is there a ballast resistor circuit?

This is a JAP spec K11.

CMF_Ollie240585 MSC

» CMF Member
i Had a similar problem with my K11, it just would be a total pain to start in the cold, changed plugs n leads n all was fine! Might not be the same prob but might b worth checking these.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
nz_aj WROTE:
When cold it's really hard to start, it's a little better when warmed up. It seems like it only catches when the key is turned from start back to ON.
Hmm. Thats the exact same issue which happens to a very large run of australian made AE101R corollas. It was a problem in the wiring. It wasn't fixed afaik.

Attachments

• 20692.jpg
    20692.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 36

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Spark while starting looks weak. Gets nice & juicy once running.

Battery voltage drops to 9-10V while cranking which isn't abnormal.

Wonder if it's the coil? Coil is integral with the dizzy, looks expensive to replace.

Will check the leads & plugs tonight

Attachments

• 20693.jpg
    20693.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 23

CMF_Ollie240585 MSC

» CMF Member
Well I check the cheaper things 1st.

Actually thinking about it.....mine was due to moisture rather than actual air temperature!!! Mine was a pain to start anytime it rained or the air was very damp. Once the engine started it was fine!!!

Actually sounds not very similar as ur problem.

Back