deposit on car timing chain stretched

hello
i am in the process of buying a k12 jan 03 micra for my daughter Rachel and just before collection the salesman informed me that during inspection before delivery the timing chain had stre,tched 62k, the
salesman said this would be rectified this was last wednesday 24 march and we are still waiting to collect. it has put me off a little the thought of my daughter being stranded somewhere being a new driver,can anybody share their thoughts on this are there any other reliability issues with the early k12 micras?

Mark and Rachel

The chains typically need replacing at around 60k, so this is pretty normal for an engine that has been well maintained. It's about 4-5hours work to do a complete replacement, so perhaps they haven't had a slot that big? If the cam chains are replaced it will be fine. The K12 engines are based on the older K11 engines, which are well proven and very reliable. If you are in doubt you can check the paperwork to see the work was carried out, (assuming this is a Nissan dealership), and listen to the car when it is started from cold, (should be very quiet).......or, (and the more drastic approach), look for another car.

Either way, make a mental note that around 60k miles is the normal time the chains typically need changing, and if they are going to do it is a good thing, as it typically costs between £300-450'ish depending on how much is replaced.......(well it does for a K11).

hi mark :grinning: the early k12,s were notorious for the crank and cam sensors going out of sync due to chainstretch, ( there are probably about 20 threads on here) and i,m surprised its made it to 60k :eek:
the revised chain types will no doubt last longer

thankyou for the reply Low Rider,
the dealer is independant car trader but have agood reputation and ive bought there before when i called there yesterday the engine was back in the car , i suppose i was fortunate the fault appeared before delivery as on the test drive the car seemed fine and when started sounded quiet , i shall take delivery of the little car and have some faith in the fitter and the car and hope we have a "good un"
for Rachels sake.

Mark and Rachel

Yep I the chain stretch problem has become less frequent of late, it appeared very quickly originally so that does indicate that the 'new' part has resolved it.

just to keep you updated on the my purchase ; when i called to pick up the Micra 1.0 e the car was started and it ran as quiet as a watch! we checked the service book and low and behold the car had a full Nissan service record up to JAN08, the car is a pleasure, thanks for the feedback and we hope to be regular contributers to the forum,

Mark ,Rachel

Back