K12 timing chain test - Possibly?

Before I renewed my timing chain on my K12 I found that I could keep the warning light off by driving steadily. I found that going from foot off the throttle (Engine Braking) to hard on the throttle would bring the light on till I reset it. I think caused by whip in the chain with the sudden change from engine braking to engine acceleration bringing the light on even though once the valve timing settled down again all was just in tolerance.

I also think that a number of one owner K12's come on the market with this fault, the owner has done every thing by the book, full dealer service industry then gets told it'll cost them £1000 to fix a warning light problem they decide to trade in & buy new. The traded car then goes out to auction or is moved on with out the fault being rectified.

Now would it not be possible to blip the throttle a few times to get this whip in the chain to give an indication of the chain condition before buying the car?

I found roundabouts the worse especially those you approached on a down hill slope, (Maximum engine braking) all clear - accelerate - Bang on came the light!

Hello, I know this thread is a few months old now but I'm wondering if you replaced the timing chain yourself or if not, how much the labour cost was?

Thanks
Phil

Hello, I know this thread is a few months old now but I'm wondering if you replaced the timing chain yourself or if not, how much the labour cost was?

Thanks
Phil

Back