Dreaded stretched chain

Having had a Micra before and loved it, i decided to purchase another, however this time i went for what i thought would be a nippier 1.4sx model. Long story short engine management light came on and had it plugged in at the garage which diagnosed it as being the cam sensor at fault, they reset the light and told me to see if the fault returned. I've been driving it for a day now and its still not come back on, but i'm sure its only a matter of time. After doing a bit of online research i now fear, and see that its most likely the chain that has stretched. I don't want to / not able to spend a fortune buying the timing chain kit and then having it all fitted. If i just solely purchase the chain and have that changed will that solve my problem, and maybe give me a nippier car without a bill to cry for?

Thanks in advance

I'm sure its the chain and you can check by removing the Rocker cover and side cover covering the cam gears and checking the protrusion of the tensioner piston. Any more than about 10mm then the chains stretched. I've just done the timing chain kit on mine. I got it as a kit on Ebay for £168 delivered and it was Genuine parts. Its not a hard job but took me Two days. If you fit just the chain, IMO its false economy as the tensioner/gears or the other parts could then go and you would have to do it all again. Also with refitting the old inlet gear, you have to clean it out and apply air pressure to reset the timing mark and if you get it wrong you could break it.

10mm of protrusion on the tensioner of such a long chain is naff all imo, and the chain does,nt rattle or anything (CG chains will go for another 50k even when they rattle)
the problem is just a sensor sync fault (nissan did,nt design enough tolerance into the cam sensor/crank sensor sync peramiters fwn)
i would "re-align" the cam sensor personally, and get the full life out of the chain

As soon as my check engine light starting coming on for my timing chain on my K12, my car started manually stalling while driving. The check engine light is telling you that the ECU can't adjust the timing enough to make up for the slack in the chain. I don't think you would be able to just realign the sensor.

I also decided to upgrade to a k12 from an amazing 1996 k11.. which was nothing but trouble the second i got it home. i also had the engine management light.. reading was cam shaft sensor.. had it changed.. twice but not joy. ive had sooo many things done to it but with no joy. had the chain checked which turned out to be stretched ALOT.. apparently its common with k12 cos the chains of such shockingly bad quality. the chains been replaced with a better quality one and now its a lovely car to drive :blush:

its a lovely car to drive

They are miss_fig, it's just a pity that Nissan dropped such a ####### with the chains grr. Bet that was Renault's fault though :p.

They are miss_fig, it's just a pity that Nissan dropped such a ####### with the chains grr. Bet that was Renault's fault though :p.

it only affected the CR and QG engines eh guy, and they are nissan-esque (derived from the CG and GA)
your 1.6 engine is renault-esque i believe :) (and not affected eh)

apparently its due to the fact there crappy renault ones! ive also had to have a new body control module on it! not used to all this after have my lil k11.

Back