Default gateway??

anybody know what one is? its something to do with internet connection but theres something wrong with it according to that msn repair thingo. i cant get on msn

Whenever i cant get on msn, it always flags up that the gateway is dodgey however thats never the case. Its usually a fault with my ISP or MSN itself which is why i cant get on.

Gateways are usually only required if your computer is sitting behind a router / firewall or server, and you need to point your computer to a specific place to get online. On mostly every machine i've done support on tho, these are set to automatic and the computer works them out for itself.

If you are online, obviously you are looking at the MSC, then your gateway is fine and MSN is having a funny 5 minutes

the gateway is the computer/router between your computer and the internet.

either a router in your home, or the router at the ISP-end of your connection.. sorry if arnold already covered that i couldnt be arsed to read that essay ;)

edit: read arnolds post now, alot better then my half-assed effort :p

this happens to me hughes....

what i do is make sure msn is shutdown properly by going into task manager(ctrl.alt.del) msnmsgr.exe prcess shutdown...

then click repeatedly on msn icon till it logs in automatically...

Altho it was explained well I'll try and explain it in very simple terms.
Everything that connects to network has an IP adress, (It's like a home address that you send letters to). things like, pcs, servers, routers etc.
And as Rlees explained the default gateway is the comuter/router between your PC and the internet. you need to have the defaiult gatway IP to be able to connect to the outside network( Internet) and vice versa.

it's slightly arousing when a woman talks tech!

If it's MSN dave don't worry about it, happens to most people from time to time, give it 10 mins and usually it works fine

well its was working before but now i have my new wireless mouse and keyboard i cant on msn...... really want to use the keyboard on msn too :(

says my problem this time is DNS and key ports. WTF.

think i need new boardband this happens regulary. think tiscali has a monthly cycle similair to a womens... (no offence intended on women)

DNS: domain name server. turns things like www.yahoo.com and www.google.com into computer IP addresses so the computer can connect to it. they're shouldnt be a problem with your DNS unless your isp is having problems

key ports. each connection is on a certian port. all internet webpages are on port 80 (HTTP), msn messenger is on port 1863 for example. normally a firewall would be blocking ports - so if your using a firewall make sure its letting msn pass through it.

whist its not working use http://webmessenger.msn.com/

Back