Strange network problem

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
Right, so I had to do a format and re-install of Windows XP.

But since formatting and re-installing, my wireless network is funny, certain things on the internet make my connection drop, such as trying to download from certain pages.

As soon as I connect to MSN the connection drops.

As soon as I use Windows Update the connection drops, now no hardware has been changed, and no router settings have been changed, just a re-install of windows, can anybody shed some light on this?

Have you specified a network address, in the Network connection properties or are you using 'obtain automatically'.

Also, when you go into the internet explorer. Go to Tools > Options > Connections tab > Lan settings button > and make sure automatically detect settings is ticked.

Programs like MSN, Outlook and others use internet explorer properties for various purposes.

The above i doubt will be the resolution to certain websites not loading, but may help establishing a connection to MSN. Have you checked the router for a log? also check the windows event viewer to see if there's anything going on.

One other thing, which version of XP did the machine come with, SP1? SP2? and what's running on it now.

got all the up to date drivers, I'm only running sp1 because the network drops when I goto Windows Update. My network adapater is Linksys Wireless-G

Can you connect to the router using a ethernet cable and see if the problem continues?

and SP2 isnt all that special. If your machine didn't come with it, then i recommend you don't install it. I've seen first hand on alot of machines the performance issues after SP2 is installed on a SP1 issued machine. There's still numerous SP1 updates you can install

Arnold, I built my PC and am using a retail version of SP2 hence, why it didn't come with it on.

and SP2 is installing at the moment

If you bought a retail version, then SP2 would be already included in the installation, and wouldn't need to be re-applied?

I bought it years ago when it was first released, before SP2 was released :p

SP2 Is installed now, just to see how long my network stays up whilst connected to MSN.

Looks as though SP2 has sorted it :D

Thanks people, I had a feeling that may be it, as that was the only difference between my PC now, and then.

Back