new ipod touch

does anyone on here have the 2nd generation ipod touch? I've just got one and the wifi is driving me nuts o_O

Basically i can connect fine to any wifi connection, apart from my house. I've been to a mcdonalds and its worked off theirs, and i've even been up my road and it's worked off somebody elses, but every time i connect to my house's wifi, it says it's connected, but then when you try to access say the app store or safari, it just says it cant connect with them becuase its not connected to the internet. :doh:

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks

Mabye your firewall/virus software stopping it?
Mabye your wireless router at home isn't very good?
Dunno could be loads of different things...
Check all the settings etc on ipod and pc.

Mabye your firewall/virus software stopping it?
Mabye your wireless router at home isn't very good?
Dunno could be loads of different things...
Check all the settings etc on ipod and pc.

Its showing full signal on my ipod and its 8mb broadband so it shouldnt have any trouble connecting.
It could be my firewall or something like that but if it was i would have thought i'd have the same problem in other places as there aren't many people who dont run firewalls surely?

What router have you got and have you put the wep key in? By the way using my iPod touch now LOL

you jammy git :p its an o2 router, and i know my wep key, i have to enter it to connect my ipod, but even after its connected, and it says its got full signal, it says (just for example when i open safari) "CANNOT OPEN PAGE safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet"
:S

Lmao,ring up. O2 and ask them,cause that what I did I'm with orange broadband or there maybe a button that you will need to hold on the router until the light flashes

ok i've rang o2 and they said that as the router and laptop are working fine off the connection they dont know because they dont have the settings or whatever for an ipod touch.
Iv noticed though that when you join the network on the touch, if you go to details, it dosnt have anything in the router, DNS or Client ID fields.
Any computer boffins on here? fwn

What model is your router?

you shouldnt of said it was for an ipod touch , just a laptop lol they'll say anything to get you off the phone

how do i find what the model is? Ive had a look at the router and theres loads of different numbers. Theres SSID and WEP. Then theres three barcodes, with MAC, S/N, and 02wirelessbox. Theres also a white sticker at the front of the bottom that just has some numbers and letters on it??

Ok cheers, so I put that in the router field on the touch?
Oh and I'm using it now at my mates house woo :p I'll try it when I get home:grinning:
If it works I owe you a pint :grinning:

try ringing up o2 again but dont tell them its for an ipod touch, say you want to pair a new device to your router. and yep fill in as much info as you can it should do it

lol and yeah john smiths please haha

Your router probably isn't broadcasting an IP address for the Ipod to use. Sometimes happens with our crap routers at work. On a windows PC, it comes up with the term "Limited or no connectivity", despite being connected & authenticated to the router.

Rebooting the router usually helps. It can't be a problem with your ipod if your connecting at other locations.

Can you log onto the router and check the settings, such as Wep keys and mac address filtering and stuff like that? It might be saying a new device is trying to connect, do you want to allow it etc etc

Also, can you manually specify DNS servers & IP addresses on your ipod?

Yea it used to say limited or no connectivity on the laptop but we had it reinstalled and it's working no problem on the laptop now, also the iPod is picking up an I.p address, but there is nothing in the DNS field on the touch, and at my mates house the number in the DNS field is the same as the router field.

How do you log on to the router? Thanks for the help :)

EDIT: yea you can manually input ip adresses and DNS and all that on the iPod

Your router probably isn't broadcasting an IP address for the Ipod to use. Sometimes happens with our crap routers at work. On a windows PC, it comes up with the term "Limited or no connectivity", despite being connected & authenticated to the router.

Rebooting the router usually helps. It can't be a problem with your ipod if your connecting at other locations.

Can you log onto the router and check the settings, such as Wep keys and mac address filtering and stuff like that? It might be saying a new device is trying to connect, do you want to allow it etc etc

Also, can you manually specify DNS servers & IP addresses on your ipod?

Just out of curiousity, do you get that problem a lot with Belkin branded products?

On your pc, go to start > run and type cmd
press ok
type ipconfig

Look up what the DNS server is, should be something like 192.168.0.1

Go to Internet explorer and go to http://192.168.whatever the DNS address is and press ok
It should take you to the logon screen for your router.
Enter the correct logon credentials. O2 May not have told you, some companies don't.

Once logged on, check the WEP other security settings and generally see what it's up to!

If you can't log on, ring 02 back up

& i've seen it a couple of times with Belkin products, but i mostly use US Robotics and it's happened on those too. I've assigned fixed addresses to all my equipment at home and it gets round the problem. Could be done to the Iphone in this instance, but when you take it out, you won't be able to jump on other people's networks

Ok thanks a lot I'll give that a go when I get home :D

nope ive tried that and all it gives me is IP address, subnet mask and default gateway, the only one that does anything when entered is the default gateway, which takes me to an 02 web page where i cant see anywhere to log in, i havnt even seen the word DNS anywhere yet??? fwn

Yeah Default gateway address is what you should use, which you have.. but if you can't login, you will probably need to ring o2 up.

Try username 'admin', password '(blank)' Sometimes works lol

righto it says i currently logged in as administrator, if i click on my router it says that the security mode is WEP, but i cant do anything with it, its just a list :S

OOOOH ive done it! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
thanks for your help everyone i can finally use my ipod properly :laugh:
and i'd buy you a pint but you do live a fair while away so nevermind... :p

Back