Danstek Unichip installed (not in a micra tho)

masterbiker

Ex. Club Member
I have my unichip istalled today and I have to say first impressions are that its made a big difference to my bmw mini cooper, I know its not a micra but someone posted about the unichip a while ago. The bhp before the install but with my piperX it got 120.4bhp and after the unichip installed it got 128.9 @6000rpm. Torque is up too from 108.2ft.lb to 115.6. Was it worth £493.50? Not sure realy but this won't be too hard to remove from the harness when I need to take the mini in for its serviceing, when a full exaust would be.

You can see the dyno resultshere

excellent the torque is the main thing, they say 10% gain is about right so sounds like you are near enough there. five hundred quid is a bit steep tho IMO i got mine on and fitted for £375 that was a while ago mine. good news all the same tho

nice one

oine thing tho what the fek is up with your torque graph, it looks like a rolla coaster! why is this?

yikes that looks like a disaster for the torque there must be a reason for the graph like that though its not a normal engine pattern is it? nice to have a power increase though.

Pictures are too small to see clearly. However beachboy I suspect you have never mapped a car and therefor find your comments on it being a disaster totally incorrect.

My other comments are that I dont actually beleive it would be possible to get a gain like this on chip alone. Was anything else done?

just my pipercross induction kit.

I did try and upload the pics onto the modified micras website but it wasn't there anyother good (and free) pic hosting?

Davey C said:
e five hundred quid is a bit steep tho IMO i got mine on and fitted for £375 that was a while ago mine.
nice one

They did qoute me £350 (without vat so that would take it to about £410 with vat????) if it was just spliced into the harness but as the mini is still under warrenty I thought I had better get the harness.

dont see why gains like this are not achiveable with a chip alone. it surely depends on how the car came out of the factory, if it the map was not too good to start with then there is surely a large margin for improvement.

also the map pre-chip will be set for economy and the map after wil be set with performance in mind so surely there are good margins to be gained there also.

what gains would you normally expect with a emanage or similar?

masterbiker said:
Davey C said:
e five hundred quid is a bit steep tho IMO i got mine on and fitted for £375 that was a while ago mine.
nice one

They did qoute me £350 (without vat so that would take it to about £410 with vat????) if it was just spliced into the harness but as the mini is still under warrenty I thought I had better get the harness.

where did you get it fitted?

Attachments

• P6230430.JPG
    P6230430.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 193
Davey C said:
dont see why gains like this are not achiveable with a chip alone. it surely depends on how the car came out of the factory, if it the map was not too good to start with then there is surely a large margin for improvement.

No doesnt work like that, the air an engine consumes is fixed by the components around it. i.e. cams filters exhaust etc. The ECU then has to provide fuel and ignition at the correct points to all these areas of the map. Therefor by simply changing map alone there is very very little to play with to improve except the ignition curve (by a couple of degress perhaps) and minor alterations to the AFR. I would say you would be very lucky to get a 10% gain.

also the map pre-chip will be set for economy and the map after wil be set with performance in mind so surely there are good margins to be gained there also.

what gains would you normally expect with a emanage or similar?

Car maps are not all about economey, if they ran a 14.7:1 at high rpm and full throttle the temps would get so high that you would risk engine damage. Under these conditions engines are usually always richer than that and run out of loop, on preset map settings. You could perhaps gain a couple of % here but not alot. Part throttle could be improved somewhat but at expense of fuel economey, and its not really needed since its not a part of the engine you would usually use under high load conditions.

Emanage with stock car would offer no greater gains than the dastek. However with cams exhasts etc things can be very different. Infact I would really like to soon make a base map for a modded K11 with exhaust inlet mods etc.

Ed

Yes it can do if the ignition was made really agressive. Thing is though the dyno plots just dont look like they have been modified it looks like they have been lifted which I wouldnt expect from a simple tuneup. Ofcourse this is just speculation. I have no idea how they do this and what measures they take on the dyno. One thing is however I'm sure they would never let anyone leave the workshop without at least some visible gains for their money, but I just never trust the whole truth about the gains.

Ed

The mini2 forum has this about a superchips chip and the john cooper works so I think that the Unichip gain I got is about avarage and at a fraction of the cost of the JCW's one (I am prity sure that it also includes a diferent exhaust but still aint worth the money)

Ed said:
Yes it can do if the ignition was made really agressive. Thing is though the dyno plots just dont look like they have been modified it looks like they have been lifted which I wouldnt expect from a simple tuneup. Ofcourse this is just speculation. I have no idea how they do this and what measures they take on the dyno. One thing is however I'm sure they would never let anyone leave the workshop without at least some visible gains for their money, but I just never trust the whole truth about the gains.

Ed

I don't know if the gains are accurate but I can feel quite a difference so there is something there.

The install looks realy good too, blends in the engine bay quite well. I will try and get some pics up if it aint raining (again, damn scottish weather) tomorrow.

Back