Damage?

CMF_jaylaw17

» CMF Member
Can you do any damage to your engine by swapping the standard air filter to an high flow aftermarket filter without changing anything else???

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
Depends on what type of filter it is. If its a cheap rubbish pod type from super cheap then it might fail to filter all the crap and damage the engine that way but if its a good brand like K&N pod or you use a panel type that fits into the air box then all is fine but make sure a panel filter type is made for the micra and fits and seals fully in the air box.

CMF_jaylaw17

» CMF Member
well the kind i've been using is a mushroom style like this.

Attachments

• 38692.jpg
    38692.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 13
yeh, the cheap foam ones can and do fall apart and send through foam particles into the engine.. the mesh in the afm should stop most big bits, but anything else is inside your engine :( have a look at the filter itself and see what the condition is like.

smidge

» CMF Member
saas are okay if you change them every 2 or three months, soon as they start to discolour piss em off

cost about $35ish... will bolt straight to the top of the throttle body if you leave the rubber thingy from the original airbox there

not a fan of those foam ones, dunno why eh

dry paper ones are the way to go i reckon, 'sif anyone actually cleans and re-oils K&N's when they should anyway

CMF_crumpets

» CMF Member
haha saw an asian kid buy drift brand oil to rub down his k&n filter today in autobahn

he actually said 'i need drift oil to rub my k&n' to the guy in the shop hahah we all had to hold in a laugh

CMF_jaylaw17

» CMF Member
so what brand of filter setup would you recomend? my setup is like i said mushroom filter straight onto tb with a bonnet scoop dropping straight on top.

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
Also a good foam filter must be oiled or they dont work and there better filters than a stock paper filter cars have BUT a oiled foam filter is more restrictive so your not getting more power from using one. Also just a pod filter onto the TB is going to be sucking in hotter air so once again no power increase. To use a pod type filter you need to use a cold air induction kit to get the filter into some cooler air such as the home made ones some member here have made.

CMF_micra oli

» CMF Member
micra king - best piece of advice on here, also, having a custom cold air increase, gives you the capacity to be able to have piping, or some wsy of attatching the filter so that it has the volume behind it, of holding filtered air, bigger volume gives more bottom end response, and smaller gives more top i think. read something on cmf about it a while ago.

smidge

» CMF Member
bonnet scoop dropping straight onto a pod is a pretty good method as long as the scoops actually scooping (ie is in an area of high air pressure)

Back