Cutting Springs,how many coils off?

As my car is crying for lows now..iv bought some spare springs for it to cut and fit for lows,but was wondering if anyone else has cut theirs and how many coils did you cut and how low did it get? pics will be greatly appreciated..
i'd like to go low but not stupid low,i want to be able to get at least a finger or 2 between the tire and arch all round

2 coils should do :)
sorry was meant to put a pic up..did a quick photoshop,but yeah this is what i'm aiming for..so would 2 coils all round be about right or should i go 2 n 1/2?
lillow_zps7d010d7f.jpg

stop being tight and just buy some decent springs or coilovers cutting is not very safe or advisable
its not about being tight..iv been driving civics with cut springs for years and NEVER had a problem if anything handling was just as good as it would be on lowering springs..and as said above me ^i agree, there aint anything wrong with cutting springs..

its not about being tight..iv been driving civics with cut springs for years and NEVER had a problem if anything handling was just as good as it would be on lowering springs..and as said above me ^i agree, there aint anything wrong with cutting springs..

You could fit longer shocks and that would make the springs seem shorter...

Sent from the Magpie's magical nest using Tapatalk

thats 1.5 coils off the rear? im gona need to cut off more then 2 coils all round then to get the look i want?

But if you want to have people in your car aswell itll be even lower so thats why mine is like that, and it looks loads better than satndard but if you want to go lower you'll have to cut more coils off :)

But if you want to have people in your car aswell itll be even lower so thats why mine is like that, and it looks loads better than satndard but if you want to go lower you'll have to cut more coils off :)
tbh i dont mind as i wont be having anyone sit in the back anyways well i dont think anyone would want to sit in the back with the 15" kicker sub lol i just want it to have just about a finger gap around all arches

thats 1.5 coils off the rear? im gona need to cut off more then 2 coils all round then to get the look i want?

It'd also depend on what size rubber you're rolling on...I have a similar arch gap on my 15"s and 35mm springs...

It'd also depend on what size rubber you're rolling on...I have a similar arch gap on my 15"s and 35mm springs...

im running 195/45/15 on the front and 175/50/15 on the rear and 2 coils is what iv cut so far just havent got round to fitting them yet

tbh i dont mind as i wont be having anyone sit in the back anyways well i dont think anyone would want to sit in the back with the 15" kicker sub lol i just want it to have just about a finger gap around all arches

Ive got a 15" rockford fosgate in mine and it rattles the car to pieces haha

I die in a fireball of nuns and kittens every day on the way to work, and on the way home too. This has happened for the last four years and is becominging tiresome.

Take a spring that in an uncompressed state measures 15" high. Take another spring that in the same state measures 12". What's the difference?

^I've seen mb's car actually driving. The appalling wake of destruction made me weep.

So, the spring rate of a shorter spring (of the same wire diameter) is greater then. If the spring rate increases, does the spring then compress less under the same load?

So, the spring rate of a shorter spring (of the same wire diameter) is greater then. If the spring rate increases, does the spring then compress less under the same load?
Rate goes up inproportionately to distance traveled as you're already lower down
Shock travel has to be considered along side spring travel

Indeed, cutting too many coils and therefore shortening the spring and not using a shorter shock can produce interesting results. This effect seems worse on small (light) cars. Having just gone the Matiz strut with Corsa shocks/cut springs on the rear of mine, making sure it's all safe is the top priority. My springs will be secured.

I think this must be the most discussed topic on any car forum.

From what I've seen it seems to be.
Various opinions on safety and how it should be done etc. Indeed lighter cars have less weight to keep them grounded so correctly working suspension is essential

But if we all did the same thing it'd be a boring world

What bothers me is how many people approach the subject without a clue! Whilst I might not completely understand the arcane art of suspension, I do know what does what and perhaps more importantly, where my limits or knowledge might make what I'd doing dangerous.

What bothers me is how many people approach the subject without a clue! Whilst I might not completely understand the arcane art of suspension, I do know what does what and perhaps more importantly, where my limits or knowledge might make what I'd doing dangerous.
You can't tell some people though. Because they've done it and survived they deem it ok.

Suspension is my speciality if you like so it bothers me to see it done wrong. They value having a low car more than theirs or others safety. Hence my cut springs research post to show what happens and the safe way to approach the subject

Arcane art of suspension... I like that phrase. I may have to pinch it :p

the spring rate stays the same with a cut spring, but you have less coils, so each coil has to move further for the same travel (hence a harder ride)

Preload is irrelevant, if you cut a spring, and apply weight, it still compresses by the same percentage of it's length as the uncut spring, but because its a shorter compression you get a higher spring rate.

Preload is irrelevant, if you cut a spring, and apply weight, it still compresses by the same percentage of it's length as the uncut spring, but because its a shorter compression you get a higher spring rate.
Yeh, what i mean is that cutting the spring in half has,nt made it any stronger, it just means you have to bend each coil twice as far (for the same suspension travel)

Yeh, what i mean is that cutting the spring in half has,nt made it any stronger, it just means you have to bend each coil twice as far (for the same suspension travel)
It won't be any stronger in the sense that it will still be coilbound at the same weight I guess

So what about lowered springs can these be cut?ive got some lowered 35mm drop springs could I cut a coil off of these has I'd like to go bit lower.

Cheers

Thanxs for the info so if there already 35mm lower than standered springs if I took one coil off what would that give me roughly and were do I cut top or bottom.

Cheers
Whichever side isnt pig tailed / conical
Standard springs work out at a higher/stiffer spring rate

Couldn't say what itd give you. Every spring is different. Approx 12-15% increase in rate

Whichever side isnt pig tailed / conical
Standard springs work out at a higher/stiffer spring rate

Couldn't say what itd give you. Every spring is different. Approx 12-15% increase in rate
Hi I don't think my springs on the k11 are pig tailed they look the same all the way up.

Cheers

Back