custom made sub box

D

darrenbott

Hi there I want to know where i can get hold of or is there any way i can get a custom fit sub box in my boot i have a 1992 k10 lx and the boot is small i had a sub (12" sony one) but had to get rid as it took up too much space in da boot any ideas on how i get get one to fit in nicley (like an install etc) so that i still have some room in da boot etc for other bits please help i have looked on the net but as yet found nothing thanks darren b:down:

Use a combination of mdf and fibreglass. Mould the back of the box to the shape of one of the sides of the boot( over the suspension strut, etc), then attach this to a flat wooden front. It will fill the spare space you have, and give you more room in the rest of the boot.

Regards

like mine?

16745.jpg

MDF mainly and sound deadening spray. oh and that expanded foam in a can stuff to get a good seal.

i think they have to be custom made. you can't just buy one made for your car.

but it's not that hard to make it yourself because i did it :) and you get that sense of achevment :)

You can buy them ready made, but only for a select few cars.

They dont supply them for micras, as the demand isnt that high.

Nex - interesting 3-way setup you have on the parcel shelf?!

Attachments

• James Micra sleeper.jpg
    James Micra sleeper.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 443
  • James Micra sleeper 2.jpg
    James Micra sleeper 2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 438
Retepetsir said:
You can buy them ready made, but only for a select few cars.

They dont supply them for micras, as the demand isnt that high.

Nex - interesting 3-way setup you have on the parcel shelf?!

thanks,

it's two sony 6x9s and a 8" speaker from a komba radio (the kind schools always have) with a high pass filter to turn it into a sub.

oh:down:

i have that sub, the back door speakers and the a piller tweeters running of the HU's amps so if i turn of the amps i get the same levels but quieter if you know what i mean.

that sub does hardly anything when the amps are on but when the car is parked and you want to save battery it's quite powerful.

RE: RE: custom made sub box

NeX said:
oh:down:

i have that sub, the back door speakers and the a piller tweeters running of the HU's amps so if i turn of the amps i get the same levels but quieter if you know what i mean.

that sub does hardly anything when the amps are on but when the car is parked and you want to save battery it's quite powerful.

So you have...........

Sub on parcel shelf
6x9's on parcel shelf
rear speakers in doors

Plus the speakers in the front?

There really is no need for all those!

well really it's two systems.

the HU amp powers:

a piller tweeters (for the beep that the hu makes)
back door 10cm's (for the mid tones)
and the sub on the shelf

then the pre outs go to three amps that power:

two 6X9s in the front doors
two 6X9s on the shelf
and the 12" sub

i'm going to put some alpine 15cm mid tones in the front doors that runs of one of the amps so it balances the sound range.

i don't really know what i'm on about cos this is my first sound setup cos it's my first car.

i wanted the people in the back and the people in the front to have the same sound quailty but aparently i shouldn't use 6X9s because i have a sub already and they don't do mid tones very well.

All you need really are.....

- A pair of decent components up front, which consist of a mid and a tweeter. Run these off of one of your amps

- A subwoofer in the boot run off of an amp

- And if you want rear fill, some rear speakers run off of the headunit. Then fade these out compared to the fronts, in order to avoid pulling the soundstage to the back of the car. Your sitting in the front, thats where you want the quality. If you have space in the rear doors, just use speakers there. Dont use speakers in the parcel shelf, as the pressure from the sub will interfere with them and cause problems.

Use a set of components up front, much better than coaxials. Your using some coaxials AND another pair of tweeters, which is overkill.

thanks for your input :)

i did do some balencing with the gain on the amps but there is too much trebble and bass. i need more mid tones.

i'm not going to change this system but i have learned so much that my next system is going to be a bad ass :)

i'll have to save your post cos there is lots of useful stuff there.

i think my system is ok apart from the lack of mid tones.

the sub is stuffed with toy stuffing to mute it so it wasn't so over powering.

i don't like strong bass, i think it's kinda chav ;)

Back