Building a K10 install

kev_mono72

Ex. Club Member
Im planning to build an install in my K10 over the summer, just sumtin simple but looks the business!

Stuff ill be putting into da boot

2x Sony 12" Pentagon Subs (i already have one
4x Sony 6x9's (i already have one set)
1x Sony 1200w amp (to power subs)
1x Sony 250w Amp (to run a set of 6x9's)(i already hav this amp)
1x Sony MD head unit (the one i alread have)

I plan to let a set of 6x9s be run from the HU (50w each)
The other set thru the 250w amp

Ill need another battrey and im going to wire it all up myself.

Ill hav the 4 6x9's on the top, same level as the top of the rear seats, a sub either side of the boot, the large amp on the floor inbetween the subs, the smaller amp on the wall inbetween the subs and the battrey anywhere behind the install!

I just need to know is there any way i can do this by keeping my spare wheel? Maybe get a space-saver wheel and connect it to the back of the rear seats so to get at it i pull the seats forward... Any 1 got any other ideas?
Also, any1 ever build an install into a K10 before? Any advice u cud offer?

Thanks a lot
Kev

quickdraw

Ex. Club Member
spoke to you on msn,,

ditch teh 6 x 9's
if u insist on the speakers at rear atleast go for a nice set of mids. some nice subs and some quality comps up front

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
Right............if you want 6x9's in the rear, just run one pair and box the underneaths off from the rest of the boot (i.e. put the rear speakers in their own small enclosures).

Otherwise, the pressure from the subs interfere's with the 6x9's, and causes the cones to move and distort = not good.

My best advice would be to ditch the rear speakers altogether. You have an amp, so use it properly. Buy some decent from speakers and amp these up instead. That is where you'll be sitting after all isnt it. 4 x 6x9's worth of music coming from behind you is useless, and the treble would probably be ear piercing.

Whats your reasoning for wanting/needing 2 pairs of 6x9's?

OP
OP
K

kev_mono72

Ex. Club Member
I just seen it dun b4 and tot it looked good! Right, so how about 2 12" subs in the rear, amped by 1200w amp. Components up front, amped by the head unit, slightly larger components at the rear, amped by the 250w amp...
Wot do u tink, just giv me a list of model numbers and ill find them even! I try to get most of my stuff from letsbuycaraudio.com coz they do gud deals on shipping to ireland and ive got stuff from them b4!

Im set on the 2 Sony subs and the 1200w amp
I have a head unit pushing out 4x50w
I hav a 250w amp so id like to use dat, prefrably in the rear, it will b easier.
So i want a set of speakers for the front, to be amped by the HU, for the rear to be amped by the 250w... wot u tink?

Lou

Ex. Club Member
you want the larger comps at the front, have those amped up nicely, and the two subs at the back amped! dont run things off your HU! The internal amp isnt that good (4x50w peak, bout 4x12w rms) and then youll have a good sounding system!

OP
OP
K

kev_mono72

Ex. Club Member
So i need another small amp then, i want this install to be effective but not cost a fortune, another amp is a bit too much for my budget! I was tinkin a set of components up front runnin off da HU, a better set at the rear runnin off the amp, maybe try build da 6x9's i already have into the rear doorcards and run them off the rear speaker output from the HU. Hang on ill make a diagram....

OP
OP
K

kev_mono72

Ex. Club Member
691508_73_full.jpg

There, dat better than wot i wanted to do first of all, i might b able to keep this around my budget....

Paynee

Ex. Club Member
im not an expert but imo i would have thought if the amps were powering everything behind you then the sound coming from behind might be too overpowering and not sound right, feel free to prove me wrong tho.....

OP
OP
K

kev_mono72

Ex. Club Member
I hear most of the noise coming from the rear as it is, but id only want to crank it at cruises and dat, just keep it a decent half way when drivin around!
I c wot u mean tho :p

Lou

Ex. Club Member
the soundstaging woudl be so wrong! ditch rear speakers totally! jst go for comps in nice lil doorbuilds amped with your small amp, and then go mad on the rear without any worry of speakers being there!

dont need rear speakers! trust me! SQ is the way forwards!

OP
OP
K

kev_mono72

Ex. Club Member
But all u wud hear is bass when im parked up with da boot open, i need something more than bass in the rear, ill be using it mainly for cruises so i tink i need some comps in the rear, the comps up front wont work as well wit the boot open and the front doors closed, dats y i feel i need comps at the rear to be amped by da small amp! I was tinkin havin da subs in sealed inclosures at the left and right, and inbetween hav the comps and amps.... Wots da best way to fix the inclosures to the car itself?

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
Run some decent fronts off of the external amp.

Run the rears off of the headunit amp, and for normal listening, just fade the rears out on the headunit. You'll spend the majority of time listening whilst driving the car, so amp the fronts.

Then for shows, fade back in the rear speakers.

Bolt the enclosures down to the metal boot floor, DONT use velcro, etc, it wont hold the boxes down if you crash = 40kg of enclosure at the back of your head.