Crazy idle...

davey1991

If its not scrubbing, its not low enough.
Swapped the throttle bodies back over.
Now with the idle air control valve connected it searches for an idle for a few seconds on start up.

Video.

Confused.
Disconnect the IACV and its fine, a little high but fine.
Took it out and cleaned it, re sealed with red gasket. still the same...
ugh.

Nope, as i said, its solved when i unplug the IACV...
checked all the vacuum piupes, maybe my red gasket sealant is poor?

i'd remove the mechanical waxstat coldstart plunger/ramp mechanism cos at this age they're always seized stuck open, which makes the throttle blade stay abit open. ppl then tighten the idle bleed screw to try lower the idle speed but without fixing the waxstat it causes idle configuration issues.
after removal, warm up engine and readjust the timing & idle speed.
the IAV does a similar better coldstart fast idle job, hence remove the primative waxstat mechanism.

Surely though it shouldn't have changed this much from when i previously had it installed.
I had it running on this TB perfectly, swapped to a GA one and back again....

Lol idle doesn't bounce but its still all over the place no air leaks on the throttle body. Seems like tps issue but not quite so annoying any ideas greatly appreciated

i don't have a haynes annoyingly, could i be a pain and ask you too write it out for me :)?

tried it, a little better but no massive improvement takes a second too settle too idle then is a little bouncey.

Video in a sec.

throttle position sensor.
Scouring the internet for ideas.
Air leak.
Tps (But doesn't get near stalling.)
Possible IACV but no longer sure on that.
Possible IAT.

This is annoying the hell outta me...

when i was tweaking my IAV, if increase the valve opening too much the revs gradually reach like 2k then suddenly cuts down to 1.5k before gradually rising back upto 2k, all in 3/4s cycles.
i adjust the IAV by setting it at 0deg using nissan datascan then adjust the solenoid motor angle till the valve opening is just about shut. as written in my IAV tuning guide i also removed the old waxstat plunger mechanism, warm up engine then adjust the idle screw.

Thats the symptoms i had before cleaning the IACV but now its just a crap idle.. shall still look at that tomorrow aswell :D

Another video, much better but not quite there.
Sounds nice in this one but it shouldn't haha.

Oh poop. Tightened the bolts back into the IACV and snapped the bloody body GAH!!!!!
Still sealed with silicone but damn frustrating knowing one more thing wrong with it :'(

Back