coolant problem

CMF_justo

» CMF Member
I've just replaced the radiator overflow reservoir with a brand new one. Filled the radiator and reservoir with coolant last night.

Today I have a look, and my reservoir is near empty! No signs of leaking from the reservoir. Can't see any sign of leaking under the car.

Where did it all go??

CMF_MicraNut

» CMF Member
justo WROTE:

"mmmkay? Care to explain what's involved in bleeding the cooling system properly? I have no idea sorry!

The best thing to do is to position a bucket below the radiator bottom hose, unclip the bottom hose and let the coolant drain from the radiator into the bucket. Also unclip the coolant reservoir and drain that off too and then re-attach the reservoir and re-attach the radiator bottom hose and re- tighten the clip.

Fill the radiator with the coolant from the bucket SLOWLY and squeeze radiator top hoses to purge air locks from the system until coolant emerges at top of radiator. Then fill coolant reservoir with neat antifreeze. next rev engine at about 3000 rpm for a minute or so and check coolant level after about two to three hours and top up if neccesary. I suggest that you take your left-over coolant mix with you when you go on a journey after you've done your coolant just to be safe in-case anymore air has escaped and you need to add more coolant to the radiator or reservoir.

i've gotta admit i had pretty much the same problem when my dad helped me change the coolant on my micra my dad said that 'it was the worst car he has ever had to do a coolant replacement on' lol!

just for a tip: you must replace the coolant once at least every two years or more frequently if you do a high mileage i.e. every year. I forget what the mileage intervals are for coolant change but they must be every two years as a minimum.

Hope that helps!

Back