concerning rattle......

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
any suggestions, My car is making a funny farely loud metal on metal noise rattle at 2750 rpm or when you ease off the throttle?

My main concern that its possibly the chain but am unsure??????

Also if i turn my steering wheel in either direction i get a funny noise as if you are turning on gravel, I am unsure what this could be????

Any suggestions...........

I'll try, not very good at that stuff i'll see what i can do. The engine rattle should be easier to get than the steering one.

what to do is get a friend to rev it to 1250 rpm in neutral and what to do is get a screw driver and put your ear on the end and put the screw driver on different parts and follow it until you hear it the loudest

that sounds rough paul, best start looking for a new engine ? :eek:
and is the other noise a clicking on full lock ?

the noise is very specific around the rpm and doesn't change with the clutch.

The engine has only done about 30k since being built and is mapped on a 600 omex checked on 2 different rolling roads showing perfect mixture all through the rev range. Hope it doesn't need another new lump.

Any other ideas?

Your steering noise sounds like the outer cv joint. Check if the boot is gone? If the boot looks ok try and push it along the drive shaft, re-pack the joint and re-clip the boot. If the noise then goes away to may just need a new CV joint. Would try and diagnose the engine fault first as that sounds more serious.

a slack chain usually gives a chinging noise paul (worse on tickover) is the oil pressure ok ?, or any worse on start-up ?

you get a mild noise on start up but this tends to go away as she warms up. She seems to run pretty well has had the occassional jolt recently she has oil guess the pressure is ok how would i check?

Has it ever over heated whilst you have had that set up with the throttle bodies?
I'm know you post a bit ago about head gasket's thats why I ask, what are the mods you have done to the engine along with the throttle bodies please just to try and help with what the problem could be?

Hi, the head gsaket question before was for a turbo micra i am working on.

She has never over heated fully the water pump belt snapped about a month ago and the engine got hot but luckily i noticed before the gauge got to the top of the gauge?

Sorry .....

It has port polished gas flowed head with reprofiled cams(with shims) larger injectors ribbed bottom end, quad throttlebodies the omex 600, lower ratio gearbox from an earlier micra, uprated clutch, its a coil pack engine as well, oh and a skyline fuel pump.

there the main ones i can think of...

Got another thread going about possibilities being the water pump bearing, would the clutch release bearing rattle if that was knackered?

Ok, had a play this morning. I found a leak coming from a bracket that had been made up on the side of the head so had the rocker cover off to sort this which is now done. The pain is that I changed the sump because i thought it had a leak and it was this small leak that was running down the back of the engine, but one job done everything seemed fine under the rocker cover. I had the belt off the water pump and it still rattled so thats not it either. How would i check the valves. It sounds like it is coming from the rear centre/gearbox side?

i dont know how you could check the valves but i doubt those would be making a noise like that, when the engine is running take off the oil filler cap and have a listen down there to see if it gets louder, and i would check the exhaust has no leaks at the block and for leaks at the inlet manifold, its very hard to tell from the video

had the exhaust off that seems fine, had the rocker cover off to check the cam which seems fine, checked the water pump and alternator. I have tried revving it on my drive with the clutch pedal pressed and depressed and the noise is there, its a ######.

Check the pre cat and down pipe to the second cat. We had a daewoo at work with similar problems, hesistant power, rattling noise when driving, and the pre cat had broken up, got wedged in the down tube and was blocking the main cat.

Just a suggestion?

Is your gearbox bolted up tight still? just wondering if it may be the metal shield thing that sits between gearbox and engine vibrating.

Maybe the gearbox stay bars loose ?

Trying to think of things that arent disasterous. :)

Got more issues now it is hesitant when accelerating and if you plant it it blows smoke sometimes out the back with a really strong smell of petrol?

its definitely doing that, I think its the plugs or leads now i tinker with it saturday if i get chance. Stopped in a local garage today for an idea of the rattle, they reckon it sounds like the plate between the block and gearbox is rattling although this is unlikely (still possible - as solarice said). Or part of the clutch is broken and is rattling? Is an uprated clutch so i hope not....

does the noise change in any way with the clutch in or out, if you can change it using the clutch pedal then it could be the bearing,

but yea like people have said, to see it in the flesh would help,

Hi whats the Cush-Drive?

The rattle doesn't change with the pedal in or out.

I think the spring on the gear stick is possibly weak but its definitely not that its from the engine bay.

Attachments

• PICT0390.JPG
    PICT0390.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 339
yeah ive had these break on me before but i cant remember what the noise was like. and youll need to replace the clutch if this has happened

whole clutch or just parts, the clutch is a helix competition centre plate and uprated pressure plate and bearing

if its a broken spring then when its happened to me before the state of the clutch around where it was broken made it unrepairable so had to fit a new one.

its alot anyway, i had a standard one running on my turbo which was dyno'd at 149bhp. my car was more but the car was leaning so it couldnt be finished

Back